My sweet little Jonah has completed Kindergarten!
OK, so it was over a month ago, but who's counting?









He has grown and changed so much since we started back in August.

Before we started school, his only real experience with writing was that he could write his first name in all capital letters. He wrote his ABC's on occasion, but we didn't practice regularly and he was not interested in writing so I let it slide. He had never really used lined paper before, so it was an adjustment for him to try and fit his letters into a line when we started school. I'd write something that he was supposed to copy. Here are some examples!







He made great strides in his writing! Although, I do think he still needs a lot of practice. A lot of people tell me that boys in general don't care for writing and it can take time for their handwriting to improve. I guess I'm surrounded by little girls Jonah's age that have beautiful handwriting and it is hard not to compare. He has never been very interested in drawing or coloring so he did not have a lot of practice with pencils and crayons before we started school. We're going to work on his handwriting over the summer and hopefully it will start to look smoother and more legible. I've decided I'll work with Nathan on his writing well before we officially start kindergarten with him (fall of 2011) just so it is a bit easier for him to ease into schoolwork.
Here is Jonah now, a six-and-a-half year old, confident little boy, who is ready to start first grade.

I am just amazed at how he has grown! He learned so much over this first year of school. He went from barely sounding out 3 letter words to reading really well. A couple of months ago, I decided to have him take a reading comprehension test at the charter school we use. It was strictly to satisfy my curiosity on what level he was at, it was not required at all. He did SO well! I was beaming! And it really boosted my confidence as a homeschooling parent. Trust me, I'd love to brag on and on about it, but I'll reign that temptation in. :)
I was very nervous when we first started homeschooling. I didn't know if I could really do it and teach him what he needed to know. I was homeschooling because we couldn't afford private school, not because I was really passionate about homeschooling. But after seeing him grow and learn through the passing months and then to take that reading test and knock my socks off (as well as the socks of the teacher who administered the test!) it changed my perspective completely. Now I am on fire and I LOVE homeschooling. I have seen first hand how great it can be and how wonderful and beneficial the customized education a child receives while homeschooling is! Now I'm homeschooling because I want to, and even if I could afford any private school of my choosing, I'd still want to homeschool. That is a pretty awesome change, in my book!
Remember when we first began and Jonah started becoming more affectionate and loving like I wrote about here? I'm so happy to say that he is still that way! It has been an immense blessing to have our relationship become a more cuddly one.
We've been off of school for a month now but I am so stinkin' excited to get started with first grade like you wouldn't believe. I think I've officially gone crazy! Last week we started doing a little bit of school here and there to keep up with his skills. I'm chomping at the bit to get the rest of the books I need for first grade so we can start. I can't believe I am feeling this way and that I'm not burned out. We're going to be using a new curriculum and I'm already in love with it even though I haven't used it! I hope I still love it once we start, haha!
Congratulations, Jonah, on finishing your first year of school! Mommy is so proud of you! I love you.

6 comments:
WOW, good for you Sunny! I am so thrilled that you are now passionate about it. What a blessing that you know you are doing what is best for your family. And yay for all of Jonah's improvements.
What an awesome year to kick off your homeschooling adventures! I am so glad things went smoothly and that you are fired up for another year. Jonah has learned so much in that first year. He has done a great job as well. Its wonderful how God has turned a situation that seemed to be the only option into something you love and are passionate about now. Yay for first year successes!
You should be the one getting the congrats on finishing your first year as a homeschooling Mommy! You did it, and how awesome that you're thriving in it! I think the comparison thing is so hard with little girls- we are surrounded by them too!
yay! we're super excited for next year too! and we definitely have the best resource teacher ever...she's such an encouragement!
LOVE this post.... it's so inspiring and encouraging to me! I'm so happy to hear how the Lord has used this first year of homeschooling in yours and Jonah's lives.
I'm really proud of you Sunny. Amazing job. :)
I'm glad your perspective on homeschooling has changed and now you can't see yourself doing anything else! Jonah is a great student and I'm sure your second year will go as well as the first did. Can't wait to hear all about it as you go along! :)
Post a Comment