Wow, what a week can do! Potty training is going really well now! Praise the Lord! We started with zero successes last week to now staying dry all day long! Nathan has been doing great, these last three days he has not had a single accident. He is still wearing a diaper at night since he is not waking up dry each day. But I'll take that over him wearing a diaper 24/7!
The first few days were pure torture. He would scream and throw tantrums if I tried to get him near the bathroom. Now he's going on his own and it has gotten a hundred times easier. You want to know what I did during the first few days when he was never going in the bathroom? First, I absolutely hate messes- specifically- cleaning up pee puddles out of my carpet or furniture. It literally makes me cry. (I had one good sob session when after spending a good 20 or 30 minutes in the bathroom with Nathan and nothing happening, he wanted to go play in the toy room. I decided to let him go and I'd keep him in his underwear and watch him like a hawk for any signs that he needed to go. Not 20 seconds later he was peeing on the floor, with absolutely no warning! AAAAAHHHHH!) I wanted Nathan to feel wet but diapers and disposable pull ups do not work for that. But I do not want to be cleaning up after him all day long if he was in underwear. So what I did was put him in regular underwear, or the thick cloth potty training kind, and then put a disposable pull up over that! That way he'd still feel wet and uncomfortable, but it would be contained and not all over my floor! I had tried the plastic pants before but found that sometimes they still leaked. I can wash wet underwear but I hate constantly changing clothes, bedding, etc. I just cannot handle it. After a few days of this, once he was having at least a few successes, then we started using the plastic vinyl pants over his underwear.
Jonah has been such a sweetheart in this whole thing. He's been encouraging to me and Nathan. He'd commiserate with me over the struggles and he'd try to get Nathan excited about potty training. One frustrating morning early on in this adventure, Nathan was throwing a huge fit because I told him to try and go potty. I was feeling really frazzled and upset and Jonah said, "I wish Adam and Eve didn't sin, because then we wouldn't sin." Honey, don't we all!
Both of my boys were hard to train because they had no interest in doing it and would refuse to try! With each kid I felt they'd never be potty trained. But it does eventually happen, even if it is not as soon as you'd like.
My kids are growing up! They are not babies anymore! I love watching them grow. Good-bye to the five+ years of diaper changing!
Friday, April 17, 2009
Little Update
Posted by Sunny at 9:13 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Wow that's a good idea to put the underwear on under the diaper! Thanks.
Eli has been getting closer to being potty trained (he asks to use the potty and asked to be changed)but he doesn't stay dry between potty times no matter how close together they are. Mostly I have not felt ready to go though the messes yet, I'm waiting till summer when we spend most of our time out side. I hate scrubbing the carpet.
Keep up the good work!
Kelly Grundhofer
Yay Nathan!!
congrats on the potty training! and you are a genius to put the pull-ups over the wet undys:)
I'm SO glad it is all going well. I know how hard that first week was. Good for Nathan and good for you! You have successfully potty trained 2 boys! Now you'll have tips for April when she needs to work on that with Blake. :)
In case you didn't see, I tagged you!
Go Nathan! Darn boys ... they always make things harder =) Have you thought of using a sticker chart?? Kids usually love those!! I am excited for potty training Peyton, but that is WAY in our future still =(
I am SO GLAD for your sake that potty training worked out for you and now it's done and over with, for the most part. Just think... NO MORE DIAPERS. praise the Lord. :)
Aw, Jonah is such a sweetie! I love that he was trying to help you and Nathan.
Miss you, Sunny! I hope we get to hang out soon. :)
What an insightful boy you have!! I love what Jonah said!
Post a Comment