Apparently I hate blogging because I rarely do it. Or maybe it is just the procrastinator in me that lets things drag on as long as I do! Christmas was over 4 months ago.
Here we go, the final installment of our trip!
Just after Christmas, I started coming down with something, allergies, or a cold, I'm not sure. One evening everyone wanted to go bowling, except for my parents, who were staying home for various reasons, and me, because I was feeling crappy. I wanted to read and not have to move. It had started snowing again. Raymond loaded up the boys in my parents' mini-van and April rode along with them. Danielle and Sam drove separately because they wanted at least some alone time while he was here visiting. We had some momentary freak outs when Dani and Sam arrived at the bowling alley first and Raymond and the crew did not show up. Neither April or Raymond had a working cell phone so we were all praying they had not had some horrible accident. In the end, they were fine, they had just gotten a little lost, but they did have the little adventure of being unable to make the van stop at a stop light because of the snow, so they coasted through, and very slooowly, I'm told, lost control of the van and spun around. Raymond was driving and swore everything was okay and that they were fine. WHAT?! Why did my sister let a born and raised Californian drive in the snow? I'm just thankful that God protected them, nothing bad happened, and they made it home safe and sound after bowling.
Raymond was given strict orders from me to take pictures since I didn't go bowling. He took a LOT of pictures! Here are a fraction of them.Nathan was a very enthusiastic bowler. He'd dance and move all around after he bowled.
Oh dear, you can tell we're homeschoolers. I let poor Jonah wear pants that were way too short for months before I finally bought him some new pairs of jeans.
Wow, yeah, those pants look ridiculous...
I don't know what Nathan is doing with his belly hanging out...
Dani must have gotten a strike or a spare here...
The first Sunday we were there, we went to my dad's church. He is a pastor to a small deaf congregation. The second Sunday we planned to attend the church my sisters attend. Unfortunately I was still feeling crummy and then Jonah became super nauseated that morning so we all 4 stayed home. I needed to stay in bed and sleep so Raymond was stuck tending to Jonah. My mom was also not feeling super well so she stayed behind, too. We were so disappointed to miss going to church and seeing my sisters' friends and April's in-laws.
A couple of days later, we were all well and ready to head out to downtown Chicago. We wanted to see The Field Museum.
Raymond took pictures of the skyline as we drove.There were a lot of people who had the same idea so the museum was pretty crowded, especially as the day went on.
While at home, we took pictures of the three grandsons together. We discovered that Blake and Nathan had the exact same shirt so I wanted to get a picture of the two of them wearing it.
Baby Blake was the only boy allowed to come along. :) I bet he's thinking, oooh, Aunt Dani looks pretty!
Our two weeks came to a close. It was New Year's Eve and we were going home the next day. We all spent the evening at April and James' place and had a delicious dinner together. It was so hard knowing we had to leave.
The next morning came quickly and it was time to pack up and go. My parents drove us to the airport. It was cold. Goodbye snow! Goodbye toll roads that are everywhere! You have to pay tolls to drive on a lot of the freeways, and you even have to pay a toll to take an exit off the freeway in some spots! My parents have an I-Pass that allows them to drive through the toll booths instead of stopping each time. The device sticks to your windshield and it automatically deducts the toll fee (I think you get a discount with the I-Pass though) each time you drive through. You have an online account to pay for it, you put however much money it is in your account, and once it gets down to $10, they automatically charge your credit card to put more money on your I-Pass. Driving gets very expensive there!
We had a fabulous and fun trip. And guess what? A couple months later, my sister Danielle DID get engaged and bought *the* dress. We'll be flying out again in July for her wedding!
And in other important news, little Blake is going to be a big brother! Sister April is expecting baby #2 in November. Aaaaah! Our family is growing and growing. Hooray!

6 comments:
i decided i hate (ok, maybe not hate....but definitely do not have time for) blogging too.
nathan was just as animated at lauren's bowling "party" too! i love it! and i'm pretty sure he is lifting his shirt to have the air from the vent blow on his stomach....i think he did the same thing at lauren's also. lol
glad you guys had fun on your trip....and that you get to go back so soon! :)
You guys did some really really fun things on your trip!!! I wish we could go somewhere big and exciting someday... I love big cities. So much to do!! I'm glad you stuck it out and blogged your trip.. even if it took 4 months... and I'm still amazed at how much you remember!!!!! I swear I forget everything as soon as I do it. Congrats to your sisters!!!! SUCH exciting news!~!
Fun, fun, fun! Isn't the Chicago field Museum cool! We went last summer and it was way too crowded b/c we went on a free day but the kids still really enjoyed it.
Sunny it all looks like so much fun! You have a beautiful family! And it is funny that you posted the last part of your last Chicago trip just in time for you next Chicago trip LOL Well a little early I guess =) XOXO
Yay for finishing the trip! That feels like ages ago. Guess I won't have to wait much longer to see you next!
I am so behind on reading your blog so I'm starting with the older posts and making my way through them. Wow, it's so weird to see pictures of Chicago and think that's not my home anymore! I had SO much fun at Christmas. I really miss you guys. I wish we could all be together for this Christmas too!
Oh and lol about the monkey butt!
Post a Comment