So I'm currently trying to keep my feet up since last night I rammed my poor pinky toe into the footboard of my bed. *sigh* The toe is black and blue and swollen and throbbing. Hobbling around hurts too much. Might as well use this time to write a blog post.
I'm eventually going to write a follow-up post or two on my other "new" blog. Yeah, the one I don't use. I thought I wanted to be open and write a lot. Nope. It feels too vulnerable. I've come to realize that writing and posting is scary and hitting "publish post" for anyone to read my thoughts makes me want to break out in hives. I'm selfish too, I only blog to get comments so when I don't get any, or get very few, it doesn't feel worth it. So I'll close up that blog soon, once I update a couple things.
Blogging is such a weird thing for me. I worry far too much about what I write about. I wonder if people don't comment because I sound braggy, or self-righteous, or snobby, or whatever. I have to remind myself that I'm not so good at commenting on other people's blogs anymore either. And to be brutally honest, I don't feel motivated to comment anymore when people don't comment on mine.
It's all about me. Obviously. ;)
I hope *someone* can relate. And if not, that's okay.
OK, I don't even know what I'm trying to say here. I guess I'm trying to explain my absence.
I'm not sure I'll even keep this blog going. I'm trying to cut out things that make me feel guilty. Things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I went through a bunch of scrapbook supplies I have held on to for years. I don't scrapbook anymore. I haven't really since having kids. Seeing those supplies collecting dust and taunting me, reminding me that I haven't used them isn't helping. So I found someone who wants it and I'm giving it away.
I don't go to the gym anymore. I quit back in February. (Don't get me started on how that was almost impossible. Stupid, misleading contracts.) It was hard to make time to go to the gym. It required a lot of driving to get there. I hated wasting the money. Good-bye, gym. Hello, 10 pounds. *sigh*
I don't coupon. The stacks of newspapers and coupon inserts started piling up. It was taking me literally hours to put a shopping list together each week. It was sucking the life out of me. Yeah, I wanted to save money, but it was becoming way too time consuming. I know some people take very little time to do it and do it well. I'm apparently too much of a perfectionist, so it was not. working. at. all. Good-bye, coupons.
We finished school last week. First grade is DONE! The most surprising part of it is, I have felt such a huge burden lifted off of me. I didn't even realize how much stress homeschooling has been causing me. The change has been drastic. Wow.
Now, I'm still committed to homeschooling. I don't have plans to stop, yet. But it has made me realize that I *have* to find ways to reduce stress from my life. I get easily stressed though. Probably more than the average person does. I think a big change will be, getting the kids more involved in helping out around the house. My husband had the kids vacuuming, sweeping and mopping a couple of weekends ago. A lightbulb has gone off in my head. Why on earth hadn't I thought of that before? They are getting big enough and old enough to really start helping out. It's time to use them! Homeschooling has been a full time job and housework suffers greatly around here. I don't seem to be able to do both jobs well. If one is going all right, the other suffers. School is more important than housework. But when the house is a mess, my stress level goes sky high. When schooling fall behinds my stress is high too. I have got to figure out a better way to mesh both! Getting more help from the kids (and my husband!) will greatly help, I think. My husband has been so sweet and really tries to help out more lately. He makes the bed if I haven't gotten to it, he unloads the dishwasher without being asked, etc. Makes this girl's heart swoon.
Are there chores that your kids do? I need ideas! Right now they are responsible for making their own beds, putting away toys, helping put away their own clean laundry (but not much), putting their own dishes away/clearing the table after dinner. We're trying to get them more self-sufficient in the shower/bathing themselves. I'm going to start having them sweep the kitchen and bathroom floors. I figure if they do it every couple of days, even if it isn't perfect, it will reduce the grime and dirt build up so it is easier to deep clean myself. They can help vacuum too. I'm sure their future wives will appreciate it.
That's probably enough rambling for now... Sorry if this has been sorta depressing, I really do have to work at being sunny sometimes.

7 comments:
Sunny, I just love you. You are very frank and realistic, and I truly love that about you.
if it makes you feel any better, i am SOO relieved that i don't have to take ollie to preschool or finn to school for the summer. dragging kids to school and being on someone else's time table is a burden of sorts. i'm sure homeschool would be even tougher because all the pressure is on YOU. my sister homeschools and completely loves it...she hated bringing her daughter to public school and being forced to do all the projects...that stressed her out. anyhow don't know what i'm trying to say at all. just trying to let you know, that i understand how you feel at some level and i'm not trying to minimize the huge job of homeschool!
we love to have the boys help out around here. my favorite job for the boys to do everyday is unload the dishwasher!
Yes! Totally get your kids to help you out. I already do and mine itty bitty still. The kids help sweep, unload the dishwasher and dryer, fold laundry, pick up toys, and sort laundry by color. More things will be added... We definitely believe in everyone helping out around the house around here. Secretly I'm getting everyone ready for farm life. ;)
LOve this post... glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels overwhelmed by just the STUFF of life!
Swee'Pea helps us by picking up his own room, sorting laundry, emptying what he can from the dishwasher, watering plants, and dust busting my piles from sweeping. :) I'm sure this summer I will have him help me more once I'm home with him, but when I'm working sometimes it is just easier to hurry up and do it myself (or just curl up in the corner in a fetal position and quietly sob as the mess builds up around me...).
I keep moving my scrapbooking stuff from room to room trying to fit it into the closet even though I haven't scrapped in like 8 years. I just feel so guilty getting rid of all of it when I still haven't even finished the scrapbooks I started. Blergh.
Great post. Glad to see you are back! :)
A. This post made me love you even more. Love the rambling thoughts as you sort through what you're trying to say...that's pretty much how I roll! ;)
B. Aubrey LOVES making beds and, of course, I make her pick up her own toys, but beyond that...I really need to work on figuring out ways to let her help out.
C. This blog IS a scrapbook so stop feeling guilty, donate all those supplies and feel good that you are saving trees and preserving memories. A while ago I gave up on making my blog a blog people enjoy/ comment on/ or follow, but rather have just decided to "scrap" my life and occassionally (rarely) my thoughts. Keep periodically posting pictures and stories and eventhough it may seem sporatic now, when you look back you'll be surprised by all you were able to document. Way more than my mom "documented".
All that to say, HI, I'm reading!
monday is usually our "cleaning" day...lauren vacuums {with the hose attachment} both bathrooms - MUCH easier and more effective than sweeping since we have a lot of hair on the floor...sorry if that's gross but there are 3 girls with long hair in this house and you could start a new person with as much as we vacuum up! :) - and emma does the counters {i do the toilets because i don't trust them!}. emma also strips her bed and remakes it after i wash the sheets. they both put all their own clean laundry away and lauren usually folds everyone's. they set and clear the table most of the time, pick up their rooms {HAHA}, and dust. they also help clean stalls and feed the animals and emma waters the horses. lauren loves to pull weeds in the garden and they help pick all the veggies. oh and take out the recycling and compost the food scraps. hmmm. my kids do a lot, i guess. and yet...it seems like they do nothing! lol jake and i feel like if we're working, so should they...and we want them to know that life is hard work and full of icky jobs and the sooner they learn to get over it and do it anyway, the better off they'll be! :)
I always love reading what you have to say! I, too, get so overwhelmed by the daily grind of life but you are a fantastic mom and wife and are doing the best you can like we all are. I don't coupon anymore either. It takes way too much time that I don't have and its hard to store hop with two little babies in tow. I just don't have the energy for it! I wouldn't worry about the scrapbooking. I finished up a couple last summer that I already had plans for but I doubt I will ever do it again. My kids will survive as did we growing up without them. :) Definitely get your boys involved with cleaning! Remember we used to clean like every Saturday and I think we were pretty young. Get them working for ya!! I love you and even if you don't keep up with the blog, don't worry about it. I think I am done with mine. I just have zero motivation or time to keep up with it and I am tired of feeling guilty about it. So I am done! Ahh, that feels better.
i just found your blog and am loving it!
;)
Post a Comment