Friday, January 28, 2011

Pride Goes Before the Fall

A couple of Sundays ago, I noticed that Jonah had written in his Bible. You know, the one he asked for a while back.


What I saw stopped me in my tracks. My heart melted a little. A bit of pride stirred up.

How many seven-year-old boys would have written this?




So he doodled a little but I was feeling so impressed and happy that he does actually read it and decided himself that he had some favorite books.

Our church is tiny and we don't have any sort of nursery or children's church. Every person, from infant to 90-year-old, sits and worships together during the service. It can be tough at times training a rambunctious toddler to be quiet for an hour and fifteen minutes. Every parent has had their fair share of carrying a cranky and crying child out of the sanctuary so no one minds when it happens. There is a cry room in the back of the church for anyone who needs to take their child out. (I'm not trying to sound like my church is better than yours if this isn't what is done at your church, just simply stating how we operate.)

Jonah and Nathan are allowed to draw or color quietly during the service and sometimes Jonah will read his Bible. He might choose to follow along with the Scripture being read by the pastor, or read whatever he wants on his own. He doesn't always read and we don't make him either. I'm really not sure when we're going to transition him from what we do now to having him try to follow along and listen to the sermon.

So anyway, I was so proud of my little boy for writing such a precious thing in his Bible. I certainly didn't have favorite books at that age and I don't think I even read the Bible like that.

Isn't he amazing? That little bit of pride was turning a bit smug.


Until I turned the page...


If you need a translation, "underwere" is underwear and "dicises" means disguises.


So my little boy isn't quite so "holy" (and this is said tongue-in-cheek because we are all sinners!) but instead is a perfectly normal kid who is rather obsessed with "Calvin and Hobbes" at the moment. Ha ha!

Later at home I showed my husband what I discovered, talking up the favorite books section and then flipping over to the other pages. Raymond and I tried to stifle our laughter but we started shaking and covering our mouths because of the gasps and chuckles coming out, while at the same time trying to tell Jonah that he probably shouldn't draw and write all over his Bible anymore. I'm sure Jonah will take us seriously. *ahem*

Oh, sweet little boys. They are so much fun!

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Haha, that's awesome... in a bad sort of way. :) I can't believe how old he's getting and can even atempt to write words like disguises!