A couple Saturdays ago I participated in another 5k. I really didn't practice much to prepare and I was worried I would not beat my old time so I didn't want to announce the event here on my blog. Anyway, as nervous as I was, I went and did beat my time by just over a minute! I finished in 37:03. Raymond also participated, and so did his dad!
We didn't remember to take any pictures until we were about to get into the car to go home, so here's a terrible one of me after the race.
We had to rush home, take showers, eat a quick lunch, then hurry to my SIL's college graduation ceremony. It was a long and busy day for us!
With the weather already warming up, I've been dreading working out and it will only get worse. My house is not very cool with only the swamp cooler we have running in the summer, so I was concerned that I'd give up and stop due to the heat. I had been looking into a kids' gym that offers a homeschool fitness class for Jonah, but realized it would be a lot of money ($50 a month) for a one hour, once a week class! I have been wanting to join a gym myself for years now. I've gone back and forth on joining one, and even toured one around the beginning of this year, but decided not to sign up. I then found a gym a couple of weeks ago that is really big and has an indoor and an outdoor swimming pool, which I think would be so nice to use. They also allow kids to swim with their parents! There is also a rock climbing wall that kids over 45 pounds can use, (adults can too) and they offer childcare all day, not just mornings and late afternoons/evenings like all of the other gyms I have looked into. I decided that instead of having Jonah take one class at the kids' gym, we all three can use this family gym and make our own exercise/fitness program using the pool! Jonah is too scared to try the rock climbing wall, but someday he might like to try it!
I signed up last week and I am really excited to use it. The kids thought the play area was fun and are anxious to go swimming! My friend also signed up so we're hoping we can go together as often as we can.
Last night our family attended a homeschool meeting to meet other local homeschooling parents, check out the used book sale they were offering, and hear what other parents had to say. Unfortunately only one mom brought books and things to sell so there was not much to buy. Raymond and I are still trying to decide which group we want to join but hopefully we will know soon. I've been narrowing down what different curriculum I want to buy and plan to order what I need soon. There's another used book sale with a different group next month so I'd like to go to that before I buy anything right now, that way I can save any money I can! It was really funny though at the meeting last night, Raymond and I told a couple of the moms that we were homeschooled ourselves and their eyes widened and they pounced on us, asking all sorts of questions, wanting to hear what our experiences were and what we would have wanted different while we were students. I ended up having to take Nathan to the bathroom during some of this so Raymond was left to answer their questions alone.
I think I've rambled on enough. You know I love rambling! I'll try to post again soon.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
My Second 5k and Homeschool
Posted by Sunny at 10:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You look so cute after your 5K! Good for you!! I'm still mad that I missed it. Oh well.
Homeschooling... wow... it's really coming up fast!! Are you as nervous as I am?? After yesterday with my middle child I sort of thought to myself... "ohmygosh, I'm going to always be stuck with her all day forever!!!" lol.
How fun that you joined a gym ... I am so jealous! And with a pool ... that is amazing! You know you are welcome to come hang out in my air conditioning as much as you want this summer =) I am not planning on leaving my house most of the summer so I will be around =)
Yay for joining a gym! I can't wait to use it next week!!
Aaahh, I can't believe homeschooling is just this fall. That is so soon! I know you will do great but yeah, it's hard to decide what curriculum you want to use.
So happy that you were able to join a gym! Its going to be really fun for you and your boys. Homeschooling is just around the corner. eek! I am sure everything will turn out wonderful. Go Sunny!
Post a Comment