Monday, August 10, 2009

Our First Day of School

Today was the day! I finished the week's lesson planning on Saturday
and we were rarin' to go this morning.

Now just because we are homeschoolers doesn't mean we have to miss out on the fun of buying new back-to-school supplies. Last week we purchased lunchboxes to take to the park and to meet Daddy for picnics when the weather cools down.

Our bookshelves are somewhat organized and the books were calling our names.
It was time to start our day! We all had breakfast and were dressed and ready to begin by eight o'clock. We had a Bible lesson,Math,

Phonics,and handwriting.

Nathan participated some of the time, but often escaped to go and play.

We also learned about how God made each person unique in Health, and how everyone has their own special set of fingerprints.Nathan said he has really long arms....
Mommy is so not an artist, so this is all you get to see!We also did an activity that required listening to directions and doing several different tasks. Here is Jonah retrieving a magnet off of the fridge.

Then our last assignment was to draw a picture about our first day of school and Mommy would write down what Jonah dictated.

I wonder where Jonah gets his artistic talent? :S
Our official first day of kindergarten took about an hour and twenty minutes. We then had some free time to play.

Mommy was so dorky excited that she had us eat out of our lunchboxes at home today!After lunch we read some stories together. All in all, it was a very good first day. Let's hope there are many more good days than there are bad ones!

11 comments:

Sunny said...

Argh, I just had to leave a comment to say how annoyed I am that Blogger was being difficult today. My preview was how I wanted it but it published all wonky and I wasn't able to fix it before it published to Google Reader! UGH! I hate that the font is small in certain sentences when it is not supposed to be. It is fixed here on my blog, but not in your Google Reader. OK, I'm just being ridiculous, I know. :)

Kourtni said...

I looove reading about your first day of school!! I was thinking about you guys all morning. I'll be watching you as you are the first to begin!

Talia said...

Sunny, you did a GREAT job getting ready and teaching your first day! And Jonah looks like such a good student (Nathan too :))
Congrats on a great first day-- reading this made me even more excited to start ourselves!!

Unknown said...

Oh how fun! Sunny you are already a great little teacher =) Can't wait to hear more!

bandofbrothers said...

you are hilarious! I love it that you packed their lunchboxes for home!
That's so cure the Jonah already wants Logan to come do school with him. So sweet and cute.

And lovin' Nathan's long arms:)

Great job Sunny!

*CPA* Su said...

HAHA! I love the lunch boxes! And I completely love that you started the day with a Bible lesson...no better way in my opinion!! :)

I'm glad the first day was a success! And I think you are quite brave for deciding to homeschool...there's no way I could do it, but I think it's awesome for those that do!!

P.S. yes, I HATE when Blogger does that...pretty much everytime I post! GRRR!

Danielle said...

Yay for homeschool! That sounds like so much fun! I wish I was back in kindergarten... lol! I hope Jonah will be a focused student for you and that you can quickly and easily get through all your lessons each day. I think you did a wonderful job with your first day as teacher! :)

Barbie said...

Looks like a very sucessful day! I think I'd be exhausted if I were you! Kind of like my first day with my students. Can't wait to hear more about life as a homeschool mama.

Anonymous said...

Wow your so organized, I'm glad that your excited about home schooling.
Keep up the good work.

Kelly grunhofer

Cheri said...

I love that you took their first-day-of-school pictures! I was thinking about that with Lauren.....Emma has all these scrapbook pages of pictures holding her lunchbox, standing in line outside the classroom, sitting at her desk, etc....
Lauren will have that too....it will just look a little different! :)

~ Kati said...

great entry Sunnny!! you are a natural...enjoy, it's pretty wonderful! and please tell me that you wrote that entry in the journal, and not Jonah...otherwise I'm looking like a major slacker w/Dylan!!!