Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Boys' Flight

It's time for my monthly post. Hee hee.


A couple months ago Grandpa took my three men on an airplane ride. Raymond's dad recently got his pilot's license and purchased a small plane. I was a wee bit nervous about their trip to the skies. I just tried not to think about it too much. Thankfully I was busy heading to the beach for the day with my mother-in-law to meet a few ladies from church for a day of fun!

Even though I wasn't there to see it, Raymond was a good husband and took lots of pictures for me. The plane only holds 4 people so I couldn't fit even if I wanted to go. I've been in a small plane once, when I was around 14 years old. I didn't really enjoy it so I'm in no hurry to do it again. I hate flying as it is. It isn't that I'm really anxious and afraid to fly, I just hate the air pressure changes and any turbulence I might encounter. My ears get plugged up fast and I have gotten off of many planes crying because my head hurts so bad. I've even experienced long lasting ear pressure/head stuffiness for HOURS after a plane ride. Ugh. Awful!

I know my father-in-law is a good, safe pilot who does not take risks and follows the rules completely. There was no need to worry about them in his plane.

The kids were so excited to fly with Grandpa. They've seen his plane many times before actually getting to fly in it.


Pulling the plane out of the hanger.
Big helpers!

Getting strapped in.



Jonah sat up front with Grandpa while Daddy and Nathan had the back.





The Tehachapi Loop.
Shadow of their plane.

They flew over to Tehachapi and were thankful they were flying and not driving. There was a terrible accident that had traffic backed up.

They landed in Tehachapi and had lunch with Grandpa's parents who live up there (the kids' great grandparents) and also their Uncle Joe (Raymond's brother), Aunt Crystal and two cousins who were there for a train festival.

On the way back home Grandpa let Jonah fly the plane. Eeep!


Mommy is glad she didn't know until after it was all said and done and they were home safe!

Putting the plane back in the hanger.
A tradition after you take lessons and have your first solo flight is to have the back of your shirt cut off and you write the date on the scrap of shirt. I had never heard of this until my father-in-law had his first solo flight. He wanted to do this with the kids so he brought white T-shirts for the kids to wear and cut up. Too cute!





Nathan is already talking about sitting up front the next time they fly!

7 comments:

Kourtni said...

How fun is that!?!?! And that picture of Jonah flying the plane is so great!! I love it!! I had never heard of the shirt cutting tradition. That's really cool!

bandofbrothers said...

wow, what cool pics of the boys. they will treasure these forever.

you are so laid back! I would have been a wild nervous wreck and my whole fam would have been like "davi is such a kill joy" and then i would cry.

but awesome for the boys that they were able to have this fun experience.

Sunny said...

Davi, I still worried! It was really hard to let them go but Angela had already been up with Peyton and Joe and Andrew had gone up too so my boys were the only older grandkids who hadn't gone! I didn't feel like I could say no. My husband is always telling me flying is safer than driving but I still don't like it.

April said...

What a great experience for the boys and their Grandpa! I'm sure they'll have lots more opportunties to fly as they grow up and they will always cherish those memories. Now if we can only get grandpa to buy a bigger plane and fly you guys out here to visit!!!

Cheri said...

I'm not gonna lie, I had a little panic attack when I saw the picture of the ground waaaaaaay down there taken from the plane! eeeek!

I loved the ones of the boys helping push the plane out of the hanger! Cute!

Cheri said...

I'm not gonna lie, I had a little panic attack when I saw the picture of the ground waaaaaaay down there taken from the plane! eeeek!

I loved the ones of the boys helping push the plane out of the hanger! Cute!

Danielle said...

How fun! So do you think Jonah will now have aspirations to become a pilot? Loved all the pics! Good job Raymond! :)