...living on my street.
I live in a rather small farming community. Four years ago we had a circus come to town.
It was a little circus. Thankfully.
Because guess where they set up?
Directly across the street from my house. Yep, for a few nights in a row, my boys would be going to sleep snug in their beds, listening to the ringmaster announce the next act. We had not lived in our house for long and I was worried the circus thing would be an annual event. I'm glad it has not come back! It was definitely bizarre.
See, there aren't any houses directly across from my house. It's a big, open lot, adjacent to the local Spanish-speaking Catholic church. The church has quite a few events. On Good Friday, they'll shut down my street and have a big parade, complete with a man carrying a cross portraying Jesus.
The church will have occasional parties and concerts outside. I don't mind it so much during the day, except when their music was so loud that it was rattling our windows and I had a baby trying to nap. If it is getting late and their music is still going into the night, then I'm not such a happy camper.
Tonight the kids and I were in our living room when I could hear music playing. This isn't unusual. My neighbors play their radio outside all the time. But it dawned on me that the music was getting louder and louder. Then the kids shouted, "There's a parade!" and we looked out the window. Lo and behold, there was indeed a parade going by.
I couldn't figure out what the occasion was. There were people dressed in vibrant colorful costumes and young girls in long white formal dresses. Some of the people were really dressed up and some were not. A big crowd of people walked down the street and a band was playing music.
The kids and I stepped outside to watch and then I thought I should run inside and grab my camera and document this. I mean, who has a parade walk in front of their house?!
Unfortunately I was too late to get some good pictures of the costumed people and I didn't want to run down the street and be the crazy white lady chasing the parade. :)


People had balloons and were releasing them, so Jonah asked me to take a picture. If you click on the picture you can see the balloons better.
Just another night at home. :)

5 comments:
Interesting. The only thing I could find in my search is that maybe it has something to do with St. Francis of Assisi. I think the church normally does some sort of memorial rememberence for him on the 5th of October, but maybe they decided to push it up to the weekend?
Lol. So random. And I though the Harley conventions across the street were interesting. ;) Could the parade have been a quencinera? (sp?)
HAHA! Keeping it exciting on your block! Dude, you guys are just party magnets!
i'm voting for quinceanera too. i swear that catholic church has more 15 year olds than any church i've ever seen!!
:)
LOL seriously funny! Glad you blogged about it =)
Post a Comment