When I was growing up, my dad would use a camcorder to make video letters to send to some of his friends. Signing was much easier than writing on paper and pen. He'd call us into his office and make my sisters and I stand there and spell our names and ages on tape so the recipient could see how much we had grown. We'd groan and mutter and complain every. single. time. But we'd try to make sure we didn't do it on camera because you never knew who might be able to hear! I wish I had copies of some of the tapes he made, just to have clips of us as little kids grinning and bearing it, trying to please our dad.
With all of the new technology these days, a lot of deaf people have started vlogging. You can find vlogs done in sign language in a wide range of topics, stories, etc., just like with blogging. (Blog is a really weird word and I think vlog is even worse!)
My dad occasionally makes a vlog, but he hasn't in a while. I found one that makes me chuckle every time I watch it.
My sisters may kill me for showing you this but this is just how life is in our family. Even though we're all grown up, we are still forced to do cheesy greeting videos. Last Christmas my dad wanted to film us all around the table having Christmas dinner together. None of us wanted to do it; we had no idea who we were filming it for, who'd see it and so forth.
I love how my face is in a permanent grin and you can tell that I just want to get it over with. Click here to see the video. (The only thing we're really signing is our names and "Merry Christmas".)
I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's funny but the video is so awkward to me. Hee hee. Oh and my dad breathes sooooo loudly but you'll have to excuse him since he can't hear himself! :)
At the very end, my mom is saying she has 3 daughters, 2 sons-in-law, 3 grandsons (Blake was napping at the time so you don't see him in the video) and one good friend ( referring to Sam, Danielle's then-boyfriend-now-husband.) If making this video doesn't cause a guy to run for the hills then we know he's a keeper, LOL! Christmas was a good introduction to our family for Sam.
I love my family. No matter how crazy or awkward it gets.

5 comments:
It made me smile. What a precious family you all have, that everyone just grins and goes along with the videos. I'm also impressed that your husband signs. Did he already know how before he met you or did he learn from you?
I love how I am sucking my teeth at the beginning of the film. Thanks dad for letting me know you were filming right then! Hahahaha
Oh, and Blake was watching the video with me and he kept pointing out who was who and waving back to everyone. It was quite adorable. :)
arg, my stupid computer kept buffering the video...all i saw was april & dani...and their husbands who looked like, "umm, what are we supposed to be doing?" lol
So cute! I love watching people sign! I think I told you before, but I told ASL at BC...I really enjoyed it, but never kept going with it. :)
Post a Comment