On Friday, the air was so cool and crisp, I could hardly stand it, but in a good way! What a wonderful breezy day. I wish every day could be like this. I celebrated by taking the kids to our local small grocery store, where I hardly ever go because they charge 2-3 times the price of stores in Bakersfield. I'd much rather drive 20 minutes and save a lot of money! I only planned on getting some hamburger buns and eggs but the kids spotted pumpkins and I allowed them to each pick a tiny one to take home. (They were 89 cents each and when I went to my normal grocery store on Saturday, I saw that I could have bought 2 for 89 cents.. Oh well!) Jonah spotted a pie pumpkin and wanted that as well, so I thought I might as well get one and try my hand at making something with it! When we got home, I was inspired to let the kids decorate with their new little pumpkins along with some candles and a tray I already had. This is what they did.
The cast.
Pretty tray my sister April gave me for Christmas last year.
The boys inspected each candle and made sure they smelled good.
Sniff! Nathan looking crazy as always, LOL!
Now what do we do?

Jonah claimed the big candle.
I think Nathan really thought that Jonah was about to hit him with the candle.

Picture time! Please tell me that if you have 2 or more children it is virtually impossible to get a good picture of them together! This was the best one I got. Ugh.
The finished product.


Confession- the kids ended up playing with everything again after they "decorated" the tray so I ended up arranging it in a more... uh... symmetrical way and then told the kids not to touch it. Nice, huh?
Since it was actually chilly, I got out the other candles I have in my stash and lit my first candles in months! I hide them away in the summer months because it makes me nauseous when I even think about the heat the flame produces. I'm hot enough, there's no way I'm adding to that!
Don't worry, I did not leave them on the table because I'm sure a certain someone would have burned the house down with them when I wasn't watching. I put them up high on our entertainment center where neither of the boys have figured out how to get to... yet.
Jonah grabbed the camera and took about 25 pictures of the pie pumpkin. I'm not exaggerating either. I'll just show you three of them.



I don't remember my mom ever buying a pie pumpkin so I had no idea what to do with this. Thanks to different places online, I found very easy and detailed steps on how to even go about baking a pumpkin. I ended up making pumpkin puree and with it made pumpkin butter. It is really good and makes a lot and no one in my family will go near it but me! *sigh* I also followed The Pioneer Woman's roasted pumpkin seed recipe but after making them I realized I do not really care for pumpkin seeds. Oh well, it was fun trying it out! My goal is to be a little more adventurous in the kitchen, I don't think I'm doing that bad.
And as far as fall decorating goes, that is it in my house! I am not a decorator in the least. I hate storing all of it and all of the work that goes along with it. Christmas is the only time I decorate, and even that is just for my kids.
Raymond was sweet and bought me "Sleeping Beauty" and surprised me with it on Wednesday night. The DVD came with a princess pillow/door hanger and I found these pictures on the camera when I was going to upload them to the computer. Apparently Nathan must have taken them.


I'll try and blog about the trip to the fair on Monday. It is on my to do list. :)
The cast.
Pretty tray my sister April gave me for Christmas last year.
The boys inspected each candle and made sure they smelled good.
Sniff! Nathan looking crazy as always, LOL!
Now what do we do?
Jonah claimed the big candle.
I think Nathan really thought that Jonah was about to hit him with the candle.
Picture time! Please tell me that if you have 2 or more children it is virtually impossible to get a good picture of them together! This was the best one I got. Ugh.
The finished product.

Confession- the kids ended up playing with everything again after they "decorated" the tray so I ended up arranging it in a more... uh... symmetrical way and then told the kids not to touch it. Nice, huh?Since it was actually chilly, I got out the other candles I have in my stash and lit my first candles in months! I hide them away in the summer months because it makes me nauseous when I even think about the heat the flame produces. I'm hot enough, there's no way I'm adding to that!
Don't worry, I did not leave them on the table because I'm sure a certain someone would have burned the house down with them when I wasn't watching. I put them up high on our entertainment center where neither of the boys have figured out how to get to... yet.
Jonah grabbed the camera and took about 25 pictures of the pie pumpkin. I'm not exaggerating either. I'll just show you three of them.


I don't remember my mom ever buying a pie pumpkin so I had no idea what to do with this. Thanks to different places online, I found very easy and detailed steps on how to even go about baking a pumpkin. I ended up making pumpkin puree and with it made pumpkin butter. It is really good and makes a lot and no one in my family will go near it but me! *sigh* I also followed The Pioneer Woman's roasted pumpkin seed recipe but after making them I realized I do not really care for pumpkin seeds. Oh well, it was fun trying it out! My goal is to be a little more adventurous in the kitchen, I don't think I'm doing that bad.
And as far as fall decorating goes, that is it in my house! I am not a decorator in the least. I hate storing all of it and all of the work that goes along with it. Christmas is the only time I decorate, and even that is just for my kids.
Raymond was sweet and bought me "Sleeping Beauty" and surprised me with it on Wednesday night. The DVD came with a princess pillow/door hanger and I found these pictures on the camera when I was going to upload them to the computer. Apparently Nathan must have taken them.


I'll try and blog about the trip to the fair on Monday. It is on my to do list. :)

5 comments:
Oh how cute I love it! I want to have some of your pumpkin butter! That sounds amazing! AND I want you to show me how to make it! But much like you ... no one else in my family would eat it =)
Oh SO cute!!!!! What IS a pie pumpkin? Is it a pumpkin that is meant for baking? I love hearing about your home-making this last week. You inspire me. lol
I love all the pictures of your boys "decorating". Its fun to do little things like that that they can remember. Mom and Dad never did any fall stuff with us, do you ever remember getting pumpkins and decorating them? I sure don't. I bought some pumpkin butter at an orchard over the weekend and it was good on my toast this morning. Yum!
I saw that recipe on Pioneer WOman and so wanted to try it, but lacked the motivation. So go you!! :) If you have any left, I'll take a jar. hehe
OK Sunny, I think you are FAR better and more creative at decorating than you give yourself credit for. Your little fall arrangement is so adorable!
That picture of Nathan and Jonah smiling at the camera is funny! Nathan looks so perfect and Jonah... looks like Jonah. Lol! I love how you let your boys "decorate". :)
Post a Comment