Friday, May 30, 2008

It's baaack!

I haven't had a lot of time to blog lately.

So over the weekend, Nathan developed a little rash on his face and then by Monday, I noticed a few of the spots were looking more and more like tiny pimples. Tuesday night at bath time, I saw a pimple on his middle finger. Oh great, another staph infection. That makes 4 in 3 months for him. By Wednesday morning, the pimple on his finger had swelled up a lot so I made an appt to take him to the pediatrician that morning. Sure enough, the Dr. thinks it's MRSA, or from the Mayo Clinic's website- "methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it" so Nathan is going to stay on an antibiotic indefinitely until we can see a specialist. *sigh* Our doctor's office is working on getting us an appt with either Children's Hospital in L.A. or UCLA within the next month if possible. Our Dr. has no idea what to do and how to prevent this. It's all educated guesses at this point so we're being sent to an Infectious Disease Specialist of some sort. We're the "special" family that keeps getting MRSA. Our Dr. has seen a lot of kids with MRSA, but none that have gotten it as frequently as Nathan.

The frustrating part is that because MRSA is still relatively new, there isn't a lot of knowledge about it. I asked the Dr. how long the incubation period is, from first contact to exhibiting symptoms, and he just doesn't know. Our whole family of four has been tested to see if any of us are carriers for this and all of the tests have come back negative.

I worry about the long-term effects of Nathan being on antibiotics so often. I feel like we're going to end up being a case study for researchers, guinea pigs in some way. I know that most likely it won't really come down to that, but it's a little scary that we're in uncharted waters, at least for our pediatrician, and no one really knows how this MRSA thing is going to go down.

Our insurance company only allows 12 doctor visits per person per year, at least, visits that we can pay with our $25 copay. If we exceed that, and Nathan is on visit 10 or 11 now, we won't be able to just make a copay but instead are responsible for 45% of the bill. It's not even June. Ugh.

Thankfully Raymond is already planning on taking the day off to go with us whenever it is we have to go to L.A. My in-laws are ready to help out in any way we need as well.

I'm just frustrated and a little worried and scared. It's especially upsetting because even the Dr. doesn't know what to do. He's not sure if Nathan is not truly getting over each infection and it's hiding in his body somewhere or if his eczema (damaged skin as his Dr. keeps calling it) is just making it really easy for him to get it over and over again.

I am extremely grateful that this is not super serious. Nathan doesn't have cancer, this isn't life threatening for him and it's not really affecting him. He's still the happy, mischeivous little boy we love.

Lord, if it be Your will, help us get to the bottom of this. Keep Nathan in Your hands.

Some pictures of his latest infection.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Sunny, I just figured out that you have a blog! That's really scary about the MRSA stuff. I hope the doctors in LA can give you some good news or treatment options.

Eating a lot of yogurt when I'm on antibiotics usually helps me with the side effects. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Oh and the story about the drugs in your house was pretty crazy.

Well anyway I've added you to my Google Reader so I'll be following along from now on. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sunny! OK, I'm no doctor, but I do have a crazy mother who forces me to read every Health magazine on the planet.
Recently in one of the articles, this question was actually asked....
Hello: My 21 y/o daughter was diagnosed with a MRSA boil in January 2006 and placed on oral abx. She has had a recurrence of the same boils and was placed on Cipro. Her new husband also has recurring boils. I asked that she be referred to an Infectious disease dr as they are thinking of having a baby. What is causing these recurrences and is Cipro the best treatment? Can you direct me to a website having to do with living with MRSA? Just to complicate matters my daughter starts Health Services school through the Coast Guard.

And the answer was:

If she has recurrent MRSA then her and her husband needs to be put on Bactroban which is put in the nose. This is where this type of bacteria likes to hide out and breed. While it usually causes no infection in the nose, it is a great way for people to get it on their fingers and then scratch an open sore or bug bite, thus causing infection.
Cipro is a good high end antibiotic but the prescribed antibiotics should go by what the swab cultures are saying will fight this. The culture of any fluid from these infections will tell the doctor what antibiotics to use. If she is having severe outbreaks then she may need to have a course of IV Vancomycin. This is mostly used for severe cases and can be used for recurrent infections. I have added some links for more detailed information on MRSA:


MRSA

MRSA | CDC Infection Control in Healthcare
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa_ca.html

Recurring Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus | CDC EID
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no04/04-1094.htm

Not sure if this will help or not, but since I came across it, I had to pass it on. Hope everything gets back to normal for you guys soon!!!

Talia said...

I'm going to call you now, so I shall express my MRSA-related thoughts and sympathies to you there...poor thing. but I did want to let you know I tagged you! just read my latest blog.