OK, so yeah, I've really been procrastinating on getting the whole shout-outs thing wrapped up. I'm totally cheating by only writing about one person today, but I figure it's all right since it's about my favorite person, my husband. :)
If you've missed any of my other shout outs, you can find them here, here, here, and here!
Raymond is over at SunRayCafe. (Isn't the name cute? We got SunRay from our names, of course. We wanted to have a family website a few years ago and use sunray as our domain name, but it was already taken, so he came up with adding cafe since it sorta rhymes and flows well.) Now, he has only blogged three times and I doubt he'll ever really blog again, but hey, he's my husband, so he has to be on my blog roll. ;)
Raymond and I met almost 10 years ago. It'll be 10 years in May actually, so I think I'll write our story sometime around then, but it might be on my other blog (the one that I never use anymore). I haven't decided yet.
Anyway, Raymond was 18 and I was 17 when we first met. I had come to California to interpret a church business meeting, basically the denomination's annual meeting, for my dad. Raymond's church was co-hosting this event, and so families within the two churches were asked to host visiting pastors for the week. My dad and I ended up staying with Raymond's family. I was really shy and quiet when I first met Raymond and his family. For the most part, I was busy interpreting and stayed at the church during the day.
The second morning that my dad and I were there, we were all sitting at the table having breakfast. Greg, Raymond's dad, had had to go and wake Raymond up so that he could have breakfast before we all left to go to church. Raymond was a bit of a zombie at the table, so Greg explained that Raymond and some friends had gone to see "Episode One" of the Star Wars movies at the theater. The movie had opened that very day, and Raymond had gone to see the 12:03 am showing (since tickets for the 12:00 am movie had sold out a long time ago). My dad and I exchanged looks and all I could think was, what a GEEK! I thought it served him right for being so tired if he had decided going to see a movie in the middle of the night was so important, even though he had a long and busy day ahead of him and couldn't just sleep in.
I really had no business thinking such things about him because there I was, a sheltered little homeschooled girl wearing a denim jumper! LOL!
The night before I left, Raymond, his mom and I stayed up talking while everyone else had gone to bed. I don't even remember what we talked about, but we were having fun and getting to know one another. After a while, we all decided to head to bed since it was getting late and my dad and I had to leave super early the next morning to catch our plane. I started walking down the hallway to the bedroom I was sharing with Raymond's sister, Angela, when Raymond stopped me and asked me if he could have my email address. I told him his mom had already asked me for it so he could get it from her. We said good night and I went into the room and closed the door. Then I crawled into bed and barely slept! My 17 year old mind raced with questions like, what does this mean? Does he like me? Does he always ask girls for their email address? Will he actually write me?
Well, since this is already getting really long, obviously he did email me! We wrote back and forth for several months before he planned a trip to visit me. After that trip, we decided we wanted to start dating. We dated long-distance for almost 3 years before we got married.


The night before our wedding.



MUAH! Love you, sweetie!

7 comments:
Aw how sweet! I love the story on how you guys met. I remember just before you flew out there for the first time you were lamenting how you probably wouldn't find someone since we didn't have a social life but God had something in store for you!
heehee, we looked like babies when we got married too! how cute ya'll were!
Thanks for sharing the story of how you met, I've heard most of it before, but it was good to hear from your point of view. Gods great how he can bring people together (mile don't mater to him. I wonder if Kevin went with Raymond to the star wars movie that night? :) I'll have to ask!
Kelly Grundhofer
AWWW!! I love your story. You look beautiful in all the pictures. (kitty shirt and all hehe)I'm sooooo glad you moved here!! I bet Luke was at that premiere with Raymond. tee hee.
I was working at the theater the night Star Wars opened. I remember that Raymond was there, and I'm pretty sure Luke was too. How funny. That was so long ago. :)
Awww so cute! Yeah, your hubby is pretty great and I would not want anyone else for a brother-in-law!
Flash from the past! I do not remember you and Raymond looking so young! CRAZY! I am so glad everything happened the way it did, you have been the best thing ever for him =) And a great sis in law also!
Post a Comment