Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My nightmare

On Saturday night, I had this awful nightmare. Raymond had just installed our window AC unit in our bedroom earlier that day so I think that spurred on this dream I had. Here's the dream- I was lying in bed when I heard a helicopter hovering over our house, and I knew, as you do in dreams, that it was searching for a criminal that had escaped the jail that is about 7 miles from our home. I then knew this person was in my backyard and so I wanted to get up and turn the porch light on to scare him away but I was too afraid to move. Then I heard him outside our bedroom window, trying to remove our AC unit so he could crawl through the window and harm me. I was about to confront him when I woke up.
It was 11:30 pm. I was so relieved when I realized it was a dream. Then, I heard it. The sounds of a helicopter that really was flying around outside. I could barely move, I was so scared. I contemplated waking Raymond up but since he was sleeping right through this, I decided to pray. I prayed for safety and security, even as my mind was running wild with reasons for this helicopter to be hovering around. After lying in bed for a few minutes, stiff as a board, trying not to breathe so I could hear any sounds around me, I heard the helicopter flying farther away. After a few more minutes, I could no longer hear it.
Of course I have no idea why there was a search and it's probably better that I don't. I get scared really easily, obviously!

Then last night, after being asleep for a while, we both woke up at 12:30 am to bright flashing white lights streaming into our bedroom. I got up and peeked out my large window and saw a police car parked directly in front of our house, (there are no houses across the street from us, just an empty lot) with the front end of the cop car facing my driveway and bedroom. There were a couple of other cop cars a few feet away in each direction. A car alarm went off for a while and then all I could really hear was the sound of the police car running. After about 10 minutes, the cops finally left. Who knows what went down! It was hard for me to fall back asleep because I'm wondering what's going on, but my dear husband fell asleep while the lights were still flashing!

Can I please move?! I worry sometimes that we don't live in the greatest of neighborhoods. There are a lot of people that roam around, even during the night. The one really good thing about living in a small town is that the police come really quickly when you need them.

Someday when we can afford it, I think I'd really like to get an alarm system if we're going to live here a long time. It would give me some peace of mind. But really I just need to trust that the Lord will protect us and give Him my worries and cares.

2 comments:

April said...

Oh, that is really scary! To be having a nightmare then wake up to find some of it is actually true! Freaky. But we can be thankful that in both episodes that none of you were harmed or affected in any way, except for the imagination running wild. :)

Talia said...

wow, I would have been so freaked out too! Everything seems to have a weird quality in the middle of the night anyway, which only would make it worse.
I'm glad nothing worse has happened than some cop cars so far, and I will certainly pray that nothing ever does!
I'm glad you're trusting God, but I really think you should move. I know this great little neighborhood in SW Bakersfield...
(Just teasin' :))