Friday, July 11, 2008

Advice for our Disneyland trip

I read you can't take food (like a packed lunch) into the park. Does anyone know where the cheap places to eat are in the park? We're going to try to spend as little money as we can. Any tips or tricks you want to share with me? Are there rides or attractions we should not miss? According to Disneyland's website, It's a Small World and The Haunted Mansion will be closed for refurbishment while we're there. :( I've already measured the kids to see how tall they are so we know which rides they cannot ride. Thankfully Jonah is tall enough for almost all of them. Plus we'll have 6 adults so I'm sure we can work something out if some adults want to ride on things the kids can't go on. =) Although, as of now, all of the adults say they want to stick with the kids so that may not be a problem anyway.
I know I will NOT be going on the spinning teacups. :Blech: I know it will be off season and we're going during the middle of the week so more things will be closed than if we were to go during the busy season. I'd rather have stuff be closed than deal with crowds though. I'm not sure if there will be parades and I think they only do fireworks on the weekends during the slow season. Do you have to pay to ride on the train around the park? I'm not talking about the monorail, but the railroad.
Should we have a stroller for our 4 1/2 year old?

We're planning to take it easy and not worry about cramming in as much as we can. We just want to enjoy our day and go on some rides.

All advice welcome!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You can take food into the park. I always pack a bunch of snacks to eat in line and keep me sustained during the day.

If you want to eat there I recommend The French Quarter. The food there is pretty reasonable. I usually get a beef stew or clam chowder in a bread bowl. Stephen likes the pull-pork BBQ sandwich, the fried chicken always looks good too. For some of the stuff the portions are huge and you could share it.

Anonymous said...

We always take our own bottled water and snacks into the park. I know there are picnic areas as well that you can eat at if you decide to. I'm not sure if they are inside the park, they might be just outside the gates. We've never done that, but we have eaten at The French Quarter... which Lisa just mentioned. It was great! It's cafeteria style, so you just go through and get whatever sounds good. I get the bread bowl soup, and it's SO good. The kids usually share a bowl of mac and cheese. If you love meat kabobs, there's this GREAT place in Adventureland called the "Bangle Grill" and they have meat and chicken kabobs which are sooooo good and great if you need something with some protien to sustain you.
Buzz Lightyear Blasters have always been my kids' favorite ride for some reason... they just love it. And don't miss Peter Pan or Dumbo (classic!). The Jungle Cruise is also good (and relaxing too) and we of course never miss Pirates. Favorite. Honestly, don't be too sad Small World is closed. It's ok, but I never could get why that ride is so popular. It's LOOONG and boring. I never ride the teacups either. Can you say, barf?? Nemo is really fun if you don't have to wait forever. It shouldn't be too bad when you guys go.
If it were me, I would DEFINITELY bring the stroller. Even if he doesn't want to sit in it the whole time, it gives you another thing to throw your stuff on. And when his legs get tired, it will be available for him. Especially crucial at night when one of you might have to carry him out of the park, and 4 yr olds get heavy in a hot minute.
The railroad is free and you can definitely use it to get around, but sometimes it's just faster and easier to walk. Plus it only drops you off in a couple locations. We have done that a couple times though, and the kids liked it.
I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!! I'm so excited for you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

We always take snacks and drinks - but nothing glass! They will literally escort you out of the place if they find it and they do check your bags when you enter.
I echo Kourtni's sentiments about Small World - we were NOT sad that it was closed last time we were there! And I LOVE the teacups! :-)
Peter Pan is a must (I suggest going there first - the line will be long, but it only gets longer as the day goes on!) Pirates is my girls' favorite, The Pooh ride (and the snacks in the store at Pooh corner are the BEST!). The train is kinda tough with the stroller - which I highly recommend you take for Jonah.....Lauren still sleeps in it when we're there! - because you have to unload it, fold it, find a place to put it on the train and then un-do all that when you get to the place you want to get off. I'm with Kourtni....just walk!
I can't wait to hear all about your trip....it is going to be SO fun!! Again, Kourtni's right.....it almost makes you cry when you see your kids' faces light up!!

April said...

I don't have any advice since it will be my first time there! But with 6 adults and 2 kids, I am sure we will be okay for the day! :)