Here's something I'm ashamed to admit. I don't really like having people over at my house. Not because I am mean or inhospitable but because I get so hung up on how my house looks or how my backyard looks. We still have old, hand-me-down furniture, nasty carpet, and even after living here for 3 1/2 years, the backyard looks like this.
And this-
It seems like everyone I know around here has built a brand new home and has gorgeous decor and a nice backyard. We put in new sprinkler lines last year and planted grass seed. Well, the seed didn't take very well and the weeds grew up faster than ever. Raymond quit watering the backyard and we're back to the beginning. At this point we'd like to hire someone to put sod down, but that's not in the budget right now. *sigh* We both hate yard work. I'd love a gardener. Raymond would too!
We planted pansies and roses in our front flower bed in April and the heat has killed every last pansy.
Completely dead-
Dying....
And yet, despite all the ugliness, there is a hint of beauty.
The roses that bloom some gorgeous flowers.

The pansies were pretty before they died! ;)
Our yummy tomatoes we've been enjoying.
And lest you think all I do is complain (which, sadly, I do a lot of!) God is constantly teaching me lessons through all of this. I am learning, slowly at times, to be content with what I have and to look forward to unimaginable beauty that awaits us in our heavenly home. Even the most beautiful places and things here on earth are but tiny glimpses of the full glory that we have yet to see. It helps when I remember this when the green-eyed monster rears his ugly head. Now that I've had experience pulling weed after weed and toiling in the yard, I have a better understanding of why Jesus used parables about weeds and working hard to have a harvest. When I get frustrated pulling out countless weeds that seem to always grow back, it reminds me that my own heart is often overrun with weeds. The longer I allow them to remain, the harder it is to get rid of them. Thankfully the Lord is merciful and willing to forgive. I pray my heart has a glimpse of His beauty. I'm still a work in progress and so is my yard.
So here's to getting over my pride and welcoming friends and family into my home, no matter how it looks. Someday I'll have a nice yard and new furniture. What matters most is that I have a cheerful and giving spirit.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
A glimpse of beauty in a dry and barren land
Posted by Sunny at 8:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Your roses are GORGEOUS! And just so you know... I happen to really LOVE your house. It's cozy and we all love going there. (Especially Logan who asked to live with you last time we left it lol!)
beautiful roses, Sunny! And good for you at growing tomatoes... that is something I have yet to attempt.
Don't be too hard on yourself-- I too think that your house is lovely in so many ways. You've done a wonderful job of making it cute and homey, and don't for a second think your decor is NOT gorgeous. :) I love what you've done there! I know how hard it is not to have a nice backyard for your kids and others to enjoy-- but just think how much you will LOVE it when that time comes. Oh boy. You'll appreciate it more than anyone! :)
I am so grateful for your good persepctive you shared with us all-- what a wonderful reminder, and you put it so beautifully. you could not be more right-- it is all about being content in what the Lord has given us right now. Because let me tell you, even in my brand-new house I sometimes find myself looking at people with bigger houses thinking "if only we could have afforded a bit bigger place". I think if we can't be content in even the most humble shack, we wouldn't be content in the grandest mansion.
And even though you don't have the grandest or biggest house right now, you have so much to offer your friends and family, so I'm glad you want to share it. :)
geez, sorry for the looooong comment! I just really liked this post.
Post a Comment