Tuesday, July 29, 2008

stories and a video

At lunch today, Jonah told me he had four cousins. Four? He started naming them off, "Nathan..." I quickly interrupted and told him, "Nathan's not your cousin, he's your brother. You have three cousins." "Oh, right." :)

A couple of weeks ago, I was washing the slipcovers off of our couches. The boys were happily playing with the cushions. I noticed they had built a three walled fort of some sort and were playing with a stuffed animal. Jonah kept calling the structure a cage. Then a little while later, I heard him tell Nathan to sit inside the cage and hold the animal. He said, "Okay, now I'm going to work and you stay there and take care of him." My heart melted. Awwww, how cute! I blurted out, "Oh, so are you the Daddy going to work and Nathan is the babysitter or the brother?" He gave me this look and said in an exasperated tone, "Mommy, we're not playing house! We're just playing a game!" Yikes. Sorry. I didn't even know he knew what "playing house" was! I guess boys don't play house.

Another conversation I overheard was Jonah talking to Nathan. At first he mentioned "Miss Rose" but he quickly corrected himself and called her "Grandma Rose" (this is Raymond's great grandma who died a few months after Nathan was born). I heard him tell Nathan that Grandma Rose was in heaven with God. I can't remember everything exactly the way he said it, but it was something like this. "Do you remember Grandma Rose? We can't see Grandma Rose anymore, but someday we will when we go to heaven. She is in heaven with God. But not everyone goes to heaven, because they are naughty and bad and don't believe God."

Two Sundays ago, Nathan was playing in the guest room/playroom with his cousin Andrew. All of a sudden there was a loud *bam* and Nathan started shrieking and crying. I ran in there and saw that he had a small cut on his eyebrow. Raymond was freaking me out, talking about having to take him in to the ER for stitches, but in the end, it wasn't that deep nor was it bleeding a lot. We are thankful for that! We are hoping it doesn't leave much of a scar, if any. We asked him what happened and we think he was jumping on the bed, a major no-no at our house, and fell, hitting his head against the headboard. I hope this incident will teach him why we have that rule!

Jonah has been learning different Bible verses for Sunday School. He usually learns a new one every two or three weeks. I try to remember to have him practice all week, but a lot of times I fail to do that. He recently learned Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." NKJV
We remebered to practice it frequently and then Nathan started learning it too! For the past couple of months, he has wanted a turn to say a verse. Usually I'd have to say 1 word at a time and he'd repeat after me. Well, he has come very far since then and pretty much has Matt. 11:28 completely memorized!

I wanted to post the video from when they were first learning it, but I couldn't get it to work. Hopefully I can get that one up later.

This video is of Nathan saying his verse.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Haha RE: playing house. I totally remember in preschool the girls (me included) trying to get the boys to play house with us and be the "daddies" and such. We were quite the bossy bunch of girls. The boys always "ruined" our game though and would turn even the most benign toy household items into weapons and break out into these huge battles in the middle of the game.

Danielle said...

That video is sooooooo cute! I laughed at it, he is too adorable!! I can't believe he is learning the verse too! Such a smart nephew. :) Loved all the stories, even though I've already heard a few. Poor Nathan getting a cut on his head though! No more monkeys jumping on the bed...

Anonymous said...

Aww the video is adorable! Its funny to try and hear him say the words. They are a bit big words for him but he does it very well! I watched it over and over because its too cute.
I liked the Grandma Rose story too. Jonah is such a sweet big brother. Its so precious when you can hear your kids talk about those things and try to explain it to the younger ones. I like stories and videos!

Anonymous said...

CUTE blog! I looove the video!! You're such a good mommy.

Talia said...

Aw, how precious. Out of the mouths of babes... there is nothing else like hearing that, as a mother. It's a wonderful reward, isn't it??

Your boys crack me up, I just love all your stories about them. :)