Have you ever had a day where you genuinely felt you looked beautiful? I've been looking through pictures and while it seems like I cringe at so many of the pictures of myself, there are a few that stand out that I actually like.
For most women, your wedding day is one of them. Looking back at pictures, I can't believe how young (and skinny!) I was. I don't have a lot of digital pictures and I have no idea how to scan some, so here are a couple from our rehearsal dinner.
Here we are watching a surprise slide show of pictures from our childhoods. It was fun but since I had already raided our family photos for scrapbooks and albums of my own, some of the pictures left of me were awful! One picture was really bad from when I was 17 or 18. I looked lifeless and just plain yucky! I was really embarrassed seeing that one flash up on the screen. Thanks a lot, sisters, for putting that one in! ::grrr:: ;)
My last night being a Miss.
The wedding day. I can't find a good one of the two of us in our digital picture files, so here's me with an adorable little boy. He and his family are so dear to my heart. I loved children and knew I wanted my own.

As wonderful and special as my wedding day was, it's not the day I felt prettiest. That day was actually the day my sister-in-law got married. I was a bridesmaid and 8 months pregnant! Even though I was huge and had gained 35-40 pounds at this point, I really didn't feel big. I felt glamorous and literally glowed. And people noticed. I received so many compliments. It was really nice. I think that's what the difference is between my own wedding day and this wedding. I wasn't the center of attention, I didn't have that rush of emotions and nerves that comes with your own wedding, I didn't need to worry about everything being "perfect", I could just get dolled up and enjoy the day. And having my handsome husband by my side, along with my adorable little boy, and the joy and expectancy of welcoming a new baby boy into our home just added to my glow and confidence.
Touching up my makeup.
My huge baby bump. Isn't it cute?
Our entrance into the reception.

Giving a toast/speech.
Strange as this might sound, I felt really awesome right after giving birth to my second child. It was an excruciatingly painful delivery since it ended up being a natural, drug-free birth, which had not been my plan. But once the painful part was over and I was holding my 9 lb 8 oz baby boy in my arms, amazed at the strength I never knew I had, I felt strong, and yes, beautiful. And I must say, I didn't look too bad given the circumstances!
My first time holding baby Nathan.
It was very special that my mom got to be there with us.
Childbirth is so empowering. I told everyone that I had given birth to this monster-sized baby without drugs, even the hospital food service people who came to give me my meals!
So when do you feel pretty?
PS- to all of my pregnant friends, I still have that black maternity dress hanging in a closet. It doesn't look specifically bridesmaid-y so if you ever have a dressy occasion and want to borrow it, let me know! It's a size small. I can't bear to throw it out yet and it might as well get some use before I muster up the courage to give it to Goodwill. Do you hate getting rid of dresses when you've spent a lot of money on them too?
For most women, your wedding day is one of them. Looking back at pictures, I can't believe how young (and skinny!) I was. I don't have a lot of digital pictures and I have no idea how to scan some, so here are a couple from our rehearsal dinner.
Here we are watching a surprise slide show of pictures from our childhoods. It was fun but since I had already raided our family photos for scrapbooks and albums of my own, some of the pictures left of me were awful! One picture was really bad from when I was 17 or 18. I looked lifeless and just plain yucky! I was really embarrassed seeing that one flash up on the screen. Thanks a lot, sisters, for putting that one in! ::grrr:: ;)
My last night being a Miss.
As wonderful and special as my wedding day was, it's not the day I felt prettiest. That day was actually the day my sister-in-law got married. I was a bridesmaid and 8 months pregnant! Even though I was huge and had gained 35-40 pounds at this point, I really didn't feel big. I felt glamorous and literally glowed. And people noticed. I received so many compliments. It was really nice. I think that's what the difference is between my own wedding day and this wedding. I wasn't the center of attention, I didn't have that rush of emotions and nerves that comes with your own wedding, I didn't need to worry about everything being "perfect", I could just get dolled up and enjoy the day. And having my handsome husband by my side, along with my adorable little boy, and the joy and expectancy of welcoming a new baby boy into our home just added to my glow and confidence.
Touching up my makeup.
My huge baby bump. Isn't it cute?
Our entrance into the reception.
Giving a toast/speech.
Strange as this might sound, I felt really awesome right after giving birth to my second child. It was an excruciatingly painful delivery since it ended up being a natural, drug-free birth, which had not been my plan. But once the painful part was over and I was holding my 9 lb 8 oz baby boy in my arms, amazed at the strength I never knew I had, I felt strong, and yes, beautiful. And I must say, I didn't look too bad given the circumstances!
My first time holding baby Nathan.

It was very special that my mom got to be there with us.

Childbirth is so empowering. I told everyone that I had given birth to this monster-sized baby without drugs, even the hospital food service people who came to give me my meals!
So when do you feel pretty?
PS- to all of my pregnant friends, I still have that black maternity dress hanging in a closet. It doesn't look specifically bridesmaid-y so if you ever have a dressy occasion and want to borrow it, let me know! It's a size small. I can't bear to throw it out yet and it might as well get some use before I muster up the courage to give it to Goodwill. Do you hate getting rid of dresses when you've spent a lot of money on them too?

6 comments:
I love the wedding photo and the one of you at the rehearsal and the one of you giving a toast. You look so great. I agree, you definitely had a pregnant glow and looked so cute!
Also, ever since I read this post a couple hours ago I've had the "I feel pretty" song from West Side Story in my head. :)
Oh Sunny... you look so gorgeous in all those pictures! I remember thinking you looked sooooo pretty at Angela's wedding all pregnant and glowy. =)
By the way... you and Raymond look like CHILDREN in the first pictures! It's so hard to believe that we all got married right out of high school practically! Lovely memories... I wish I had been at your wedding. I really really wish I'd been there.
Wow you did look so young for your wedding pics! And was that Stefan in the picture with you???? He was tiny! I just looked at April's blog with the video of the Hoxies so it is a huge change from your pic!
You looked very pretty in all the pics! :) I know what you mean about dresses though. Oh well, there is nothing else to be done with them but give them away or try to sell them which is so much hassle anyway. It stinks the whole wedding industry is SO expensive!
What a cute post. :) You really are beautiful, no matter what, Sunny! I think it's that smile of yours.
I have to agree with Kourtni-- it's amazing how YOUNG we all looked when we got married! It doesn't seem like that long ago, but when I see pictures like that... wow. I feel old. hehe.
Pregnancy does suit you... are you sure you don't want to try it again?? (haha, I'm just teasing you :))
I'm sad none of us were at yours and Raymond's wedding too...
You've always been beautiful to me and I always felt you had way more self confidence than I ever had. Its so interesting to think of the times when we feel beautiful and strong. You and Raymond were definitely very young looking at your wedding. I look at my pictures from time to time and even though it was only 2 years ago, I think we look so much more different now. We have grown together and experienced hardships and joys and I think that is really what makes us look so different. The same for you and Raymond. Your day as a bridesmaid is awesome. That dress is really cute too. Maybe I will need to borrow it at some point. ;-)
Post a Comment