(OK, before I get to my post, you have to read Lorie's most recent blog post and my comments and then for some background, you also need to read this other post she wrote.)
December 14, 2002 will always be a special day for me. It's the day I married my one true love.
What makes my story unique is that the entire time Raymond and I dated, or courted as we called it then, it was a long-distance relationship. We lived 3,000 miles apart, him in California and me in Maryland. He proposed to me on Christmas Day, 2001 while I was visiting him and his family. On January 4, 2002, I flew home, with an engagement ring on my finger, sobbing my eyes out. I didn't want to go home. I didn't want to live so far away from him. I hated having to leave. To make a long story short, I did not see him again until three days before our wedding day, almost an entire year after I left California. It's a long story, one that I don't have time to tell at the moment. Raymond, his family and his groomsmen flew to Maryland for the wedding and two days after our day, Raymond brought me home to California where I have lived ever since.

My dad has been a pastor to deaf congregations since before I was born. He officiated our wedding. My dear, sweet husband signed his vows as he spoke them on our big day, even though he was terribly nervous about it.

Six years ago, not only did I get married, but I also had my very first kiss. It was something I decided I wanted to do, to save not only my whole heart and soul for the man I would marry, but also every intimate gesture and moment would be his and his alone. Not only did I give this gift to my husband on our wedding day, but he also returned it as I was his first kiss.


Six years ago I also moved away from my family and just about everyone I knew and started an entirely new life, far away from home. And you know what? I haven't looked back since. I have no regrets. I missed my family terribly, I still do, and my church people as well. After my reception I tearfully hugged all of these wonderful people that I knew and said good-bye. But I knew that God had planned this for my life and I had peace. And now, six years later, I have the greatest friends, wonderful in-laws who love me like a daughter and a sister, and most importantly, a husband who is devoted to me and supports me through everything we've been through; loss of a job, two children, buying a house, good times and bad, struggles and hardships. But the joy has been immeasurable. For six years, I've never had to leave him for months at a time. I am by his side every day. And I love it.
I love you, babe. Happy 6th anniversary!

14 comments:
um holy crap. that is CRAZY=)
well Happy Anniversary to you too! Too funny, and yes, very small world.
what a sweet blog! you looked gorgeous!
Happy Anniversary! This was such a sweet post!
happy anniversary! so very sweet. i love that last picture of you, you look so excited! so pretty!
Happy Anniversary Sunny!!!! 6 years! WHOO HOOOO!!!
I CAN NOT believe how time has passed =( You looked so young Sunny ... like 16ish! =) You were (and are) gorgeous! XOXO
Um and can I add that was your FIRST KISS EVER documented by photo! (I think anyways unless you just TOLD us that ...) CRAZY! He he had to add that =)
Happy Anniversary! It does not seem like 6 years have gone by since we welcomed you here to CA. Wow.
Such a lovely post about your and your husband, and I LOVE the pictures. So beautiful! You really were just glowing.
That was such a great day to be able to see God closing the chapter of your dating life and beginning the married life. His plans are far better than ours. Yea for 6 years!!!
Yeah yeah yeah, happy anniversary and all that but wow Sunny... you ARE a stalker! Approaching someone you only know through blogs? Weeeeeeird.... ;)
What a pretty bride! I wish I could have been there....but since I didn't know you yet and all....that might have been wierd! :-)
what an amazing story... and I can't believe you went a whole year without seeing him!!! Agony...
what a beautiful story you have, and a beautiful family too!
So SWEET...happy anniversary!
I seriously cried reading that! It is probably one of the sweetest and most amazing things I have ever heard. I am so happy that you found the one who makes you never look back.
Post a Comment