Friday, December 19, 2008

Allow Me To Whine

I have been sick all week with the flu! I started to not feel well on Sunday and now it is Friday and I am still not 100% well. Waaaah! I think I am finally getting over it but it has taken what feels like forever. I really wish I went and got a flu shot this year. Evil germs!

Since I have been sick, I've done nothing but stay in bed and completely ignore my children. I've also gotten upset because Raymond got to take sick time and stay home when he had it last week but I'm a stay-at-home mom and I don't get that. Yeah, I'm that whiny. Nice, isn't it? It is so hard to be sick and know that the laundry is piling up, the sink is full of dirty dishes, the house is a general wreck and there is nothing you can do. Raymond has helped out with the essentials when he is home in the evenings but there is a lot that has to be neglected until I can get well. I know I shouldn't worry about it.

We finally ordered our Christmas card photos (we took pictures on Sunday afternoon) and I have not sent any yet. I think this year I will not send our annual newsletter to everyone like I have in the past and just to those who live far away and we don't see or keep in touch with through out the year. I might post it on here if you're interested in reading it.

With me being sick, I've had to cancel plans and miss out on a bunch of preschool stuff. Last night was the preschool's Christmas program and it just about killed me to have to stay home while Raymond and his parents took the boys. They did get some pictures so that helped.

Yesterday was also supposed to be Jonah's last day at preschool, which he missed since I was too sick to take him. After a lot of discussion, Raymond and I had decided to withdraw Jonah from school this month and he will not be going back after Christmas. It is mostly for financial reasons. I was really sad he had to miss his last day, and the Christmas lunch they were having (which I was supposed to be helping with) but I keep reminding myself that he is only 5 and he doesn't need closure and a chance to say "Bye, it was nice meeting you!" Jonah doesn't really seem to care about going to school anyway, and most mornings when he is supposed to get up and go to school he complains that he wants to stay in bed and he's tired. It is strange though, because most other mornings he is up earlier and gets out of bed on his own!

I've also gotten almost NO Christmas shopping done and that is frustrating! I finally broke down and ordered stuff off of Amazon to send to my family. I've asked my mom and sisters to wrap each other's gifts since I didn't want to pay the extra money to have it gift wrapped. Hopefully Raymond and I can get most of our shopping done either this weekend (which is already going to be busy) or early next week! I am not used to cutting it so close.

But you know, even though things are not going according to my plans, it's fine. You can't help it when you get sick, people will still appreciate your Christmas card even if it arrives after Christmas, and a lot of the holiday busyness is just that, busyness that takes away from what Christmas is really all about. It should not be a stressful time, so if we have to cut back or reevaluate everything we want to do it can actually be a good thing. The important stuff will get done and if some of it doesn't happen, the world is not going to end. Christmas won't be any less special because the only thing that really matters is that Jesus came to earth as a baby to be our King! The Bible doesn't say we have to celebrate this holy event with gift exchanges and Christmas cards and holiday baking. I'm not trying to preach here, I'm more reassuring myself "out loud" on my blog. :)

So hopefully soon I'll be all better and be able to spend some quality time with my little family. I'm praying that no one is sick during Christmas! I hope all of you have avoided the illnesses that are going around.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

I'm glad you're finally feeling better. I'm so sorry....I should have called you to see if you wanted me to take Jonah today for the party. It was actually pretty chaotic....when I dropped Lauren off at about 10:30 I was going to run over to see how Emma's party was going and Lauren looked at me like, "You're not going to just leave me here are you?!?" I ended up going back and forth checking on her and watching Emma's party too. :-) I'll get Jonah's stuff after Christmas for you.....the teacher said she had a gift for him.

April said...

Sorry you were feeling sick. I totally know the feeling of being helpless and unable to keep up with all the work that a stay-at-home mom/wife has to keep up with. Glad you are feeling better though and better last week than the week of Christmas to be sick.

Talia said...

ugh, that sounds miserable!! I'm so sorry to hear you were sick... and at such a rotten time of year too. But hopefully you are feeling ALL better now and can enjoy a wonderful Christmas with your family!
you know, I think we sometimes put too much stress on ourselves to accomplish so much, especially this time of year. You are so right-- it's not about that. Maybe the Lord allowed you to get sick so you could have a bit of a break and only have to worry about the really important things! :)

Kourtni said...

The being sick totally stinks... especially at the holidays. I'm so glad that even though Nathan got sick, the rest of you stayed healthy!! And I'm happy he's doing so much better too. I totally flaked on Christmas cards all together this year.... so don't feel too bad. lol.