Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another Hat

I think just about everyone wears many hats, metaphorically speaking.

Mine include-

*Wife
*Mommy
*Housekeeper (just don't look at my house right now)
*Financial Planner and bill payer
*Personal Shopper
*Cook

I am sure there are things I do that are not included in that list. I'm about to add Teacher as Jonah will be starting Kindergarten in a couple of months and I will be homeschooling him. Not to say I don't teach my kids on a daily basis right now. I do, of course. This will be different though, a bit more serious and regular. I'm a little nervous about it, but I'm excited too.

None of these jobs come with a salary, but I receive love, joy and many other blessings in exchange for my duties.

I do, however, have another hat that does earn some income-

*Sign Language Interpreter

This one is very part-time. I get calls about various assignments for our local court system and can accept or decline any job I am offered. Work has been slow recently, but I've been asked to do several jury duty assignments in September, which I love. I dread receiving a jury duty summons myself, haha, but I really enjoy interpreting for other people because it is laid back and relaxed when we're waiting in the room for names to be called. Let's just say it's very different from being in a courtroom with criminals in jumpsuits who are shackled and handcuffed.

My newest hat starts next week, and that is-

*Janitor/Custodian

In addition to keeping my own house clean, I'm going to be responsible for cleaning my church every week. It comes with a small salary and my friend and I are going to work together. I live a half mile from our church, and it is a small building, so it will not take too much of my time. I'll be alternating cleaning the sanctuary and the fellowship hall with my friend. It should be the perfect job for me since I can do it any time I want and I can bring the kids with me if I need to. I could even do it in the evening or on a Saturday. It's very flexible.

I'm beginning to think all of these jobs and duties of mine are going to severely cut into my computer/blogging time. Hmmm, I think my priorities are slightly out of balance. Haha!

I hope that I'll be able to keep up with everything and that my new schedule will force me to be more organized. I've been wanting to use my time more wisely so here's a real test! I still do want to blog when I can, but I make no promises on how regularly I do. A month may go by with no new posts, and then there might be three in one week. (Oh, who am I kidding, I do that now!)

This was a long, ramble-y post just to let you know what will be going on with me. If you've made it this far, thank you for reading!

What are your many hats?

3 comments:

Mommy Diffee said...

You do wear a lot of hats! You can add "host weekly family lunch" and "cousin baby sitter on a seconds notice" and like 100 more =) You are so loved and appreciated for all of those hats that you wear Sunny!

Barbie said...

You are a busy, busy momma. I find that when I am working part-time (school year), I am more productive with my time. Probably because I have to be. Anywho, hopefully you'll still give us some updates, especially on all the fun homeschool stuff you'll be doing.

Olive Oyl said...

I am so excited that you will be homeschooling and can't wait to hear regular updates!!! And I am like Barbie... I am so much more productive with my time when I HAVE to be... give me too much free time and I am so willy-nilly with it. I have really tried to be more productive this summer with my time... even if it is scheduling my quiet time or cleaning time into my day... and it has made things so much smoother and more peaceful and relaxing for me. Yes, I schedule relaxing time... I am weird.