Hi everyone! I meant to get another post in between these Ten Week Challenge posts but that obviously didn't happen.
How was your week? I think I did pretty well with adding produce into my diet. It wasn't perfect but I made a big salad to eat along with a couple frozen pizzas we baked for dinner on Friday night. The kids and I met Raymond at the new Chik-fil-A on Monday for the first time. It used to be one of my favorite places when I lived in Maryland and I haven't had it in 7 years! The one we went to here is really nice inside if you haven't been there yet. Their prices are a little more than some of the other fast food places and there are no hamburgers but I really like it! I swapped out my fries for a fresh fruit cup. It cost more to do so, but I was really happy that the fruit cup wasn't full of melon like most places do. It had strawberries, grapes, apples and mandarin oranges and absolutely NO melon. I'm not a fan of melon. I've tried to make healthier meals at home, stir-fries with lots of fresh vegetables, eating soups and salads.
I have struggled all year with making healthier choices. I'd decide I was going to change my eating habits for real this time and did this several times. I'd start, do great for a couple days, maybe even a week, and before I knew it I no longer cared and I'd be right back where I started with zero portion control and craving junk food.
I am starting to think that this time it is really working! I think I've broken the habits of mindless eating, craving junk food and wanting to eat when I'm bored. Foods that used to tempt me aren't so attractive right now. I still indulge, mind you, but not as much as I used to. I don't think I'm eating as much either because I feel full with less food than I used to. Have I finally turned a corner? I sure hope so!
This week will be a challenge for all of us with Thanksgiving! Where will you be celebrating? We're going to my husband's grandparents' house. They live an hour+ away in the mountains. My plan for that day is to try to stay out of the kitchen as much as I can when food is being prepped and cooked so that I am not tempted to eat the various snacks and appetizers Raymond's grandma is sure to have out. I will definitely let myself eat some of my favorite holiday foods but I'm going to try and be choosy and pick only the foods I really love and leave behind the ones I like but don't have to have. Just about every year various family members head outdoors and go for walks or chase the kids up and down the hills around the property and I inevitably always sit it out and stay inside. This year I am determined to get off my rear and move! I will try not to overeat so that I have room for a slice of pumpkin pie.
We're almost halfway there! My goal for the week is to keep doing what I've been doing and enjoy Thanksgiving without needing to unbutton my jeans after the meal! ;)
Let's do this!
Friday, November 20, 2009
TWC- Week 4
Posted by Sunny at 8:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Good job Sunny! I'm SO proud of you! I know how long you've struggled so to hear you're making healthy choices and not even craving junk as much is great!!
Ok I totally failed on the adding produce to my diet! I still kept track of what I ate and how much water I drank though. I've also exercised 4 days for at least an hour each time and I hope to get another half hour in tomorrow. After a weird week weight-wise (it went down a couple pounds, then back up) today I am at the same weight as last week, just 1 pound from my goal. So at least I am maintaining my weight and not gaining it back. That is huge for me!
Thanksgiving is at April's in-laws and they always have a ton of food whenever they have people over so I'm thinking Thanksgiving is going to be an explosion of food and sweets! I'll try to be good this year but I make no promises! :) As the weather is calling for possible flurries that day I don't think I'll be able to take a walk outdoors but maybe I can do something when I get home.
My goal for this week is to keep doing what I'm doing and really watch what I eat over the holiday. I don't think I could lose a pound the week of Thanksgiving but if I don't gain anything I'll be really happy!
Congrats on your progress!! I am a firm believer in keeping a food diary, it makes a huge difference in weight loss for me and also allows me to add in those cravings for junk and not feel (too) guilty about it. I honestly have ice cream or frozen yogurt EVERY SINGLE night but its budgeted into my daily food so I can sit there watching the biggest loser with my (small) bowl of ice cream and not feel bad, haha!
That being said, we are going to my parents house for Thanksgiving which means that I pretty much revert back to my teenage self in regards to eating. Rummaging through their pantry in search of food and feeling free to indulge whenever I please. I'm going to *try* to be really good this year and also try to continue with my food diary as much as possible.
woohoo, go Sunny!! It sounds like you're doing so well! Yay!
I've been pretty good at working out lately, getting in at least three times a week. My goal for the next week is to get to the gym at least three times and do at least 20 minutes of exercise at home on the days I don't go. Also, I'm thinking of starting a food diary, because THAT is where I fail all the time-- in eating. I wasn't too bad this last week, but I know it could be better!
Hey, I finally posted closer to Friday! That's awesome that you are seeing some changes in how you view food, Sunny! Just doing it for a little bit can become a habit quickly. I think I did really well this week. I got 3 days of exercise in for a total of 12 miles of walking and finally did up my water intake to 8 glasses or very close to it! Also I have put waaaay more thought into my eating habits and am doing a bit of portion control but am still able to enjoy the foods I want, just not having a huge plateful or two. So far, so good!
For the week of Thanksgiving I hope to get 3 days of exercise in and still try to use portion control. I don't have to pig out on the day of Thanksgiving because there are always leftovers!! :) We're going to my in-laws and lots of other family will be there, it should be a blast!
YAY!! So... the food thing is DEFINITELY getting easier. I know we talked about this already... but I just want to reiterate how suprised I am that I have been able to avoid JUNK!!! I am such a food person. I love to eat chips and chocolate and I rarely have any control. Now, like you, I'm finding that it's not even tempting me anymore. And drinking water and tea has helped me have something to do when I'm just plain ole fashioned bored. (Which is when lots of my eating happens) Thanks for this, Sunny!!! I hope this is the start of a healthier me!!
p.s. you're looking fab
Post a Comment