Friday, December 11, 2009

My Boy is Six!

OK, so he turned 6 three weeks ago but I just haven't had the time or energy to blog about his big day.

Homeschooling has been much more challenging than I thought it would be. Not necessarily in a bad way, just that it's hard to do everything I need to. My house is usually a wreck. So this year, after 5 years of birthday parties at home, I decided the last thing I wanted to do was have a party at my house. I'm swamped, I'm busy, I'm overwhelmed. I couldn't handle the thought of doing a party. I had a great idea, let's go to the movies! Unfortunately, Jonah was not nearly as excited as I was. He actually asked me if we could change it and have it at home. NO! Is that mean?

The invitations were sent:

We went with a movie theme!

I was really excited to come up with something a bit more creative than I usually do.

The day before his birthday, the gifts from far away family members arrived. He was so happy to get to open them right away.
There was a Star Wars theme going on...

He got LEGOS! Two boxes of them!
Saturday, Nov 21, was his actual birthday and party day. We celebrated with him riding in the car without a booster seat! Hooray! What a milestone. He is officially a big kid and there is not a single thing left about him that is babyish. It is sad in a way, but I love watching him grow up.
We grabbed some lunch at a burger place before the party. I took a picture of Nathan's meltdown because it is just so typical Nathan!
Why is he crying, you ask? Because his hamburger would slide out of the bun. He cries every time that happens and it happens almost every time he eats a hamburger! Why do kids do this?!
He did eventually get over it and eat it.

The birthday celebration was to be at the movies. We'd meet up first with family and friends and open presents and have cupcakes, then most of the group would go and see the movie Planet 51.

Little Cohen arrived looking just darling all bundled up!
An action shot of Nathan. Goofy kid.
Four of the six grandkids with Granny. :)
Present time!
Angela is super creative!
Isn't that just the cutest gift tag?


More Legos, Nerf guns and darts, clothes, toys, all sorts of things little boys love!

For the cupcakes I had it all planned in my head that the cupcakes would be really cute. "Popcorn" buckets and Hollywood Stars. Um... yeah, the icing was way too thin and I didn't have the right tips to pipe the icing with.

End result-
I made everyone see my "ugly" cupcakes before they could see the cute ones. LOL!

"Popcorn" buckets-

At least those turned out all right. I found the idea online. It is mini-marshmallows with yellow food coloring painted on to make the "butter". :) Nathan wanted me to leave some of them white so I did.

Time for the candles!

After all of my effort, both of my boys wanted to eat the plain white frosted cupcakes and wouldn't touch the others. *sigh*

At least Breanna enjoyed them!

The kids scarfed down their cupcakes.



Love his mittens!
Which one do you want?
I didn't see this, but apparently Breanna walked up to a family that was strolling by, reached her hand up to take their hand and was ready to take off with them. LOL! She's a hoot!

My birthday boy and me.

The best of friends- Jonah and Logan.
I was sure Nathan would tumble in headfirst into the freezing cold water...
Another action shot of Nathan.

The whole gang ready to see the movie! Breanna and Peyton didn't go to the movie though. Peyton and baby brother Cohen went home to take naps and Breanna and her mommy walked around the shopping area with me. I wasn't super interested in seeing the movie and I decided to save the money instead. It was a fabulous day! I even ran into Talia and her family as they were going to one of the restaurants for lunch.

I didn't remember to get a picture of the goody bags, but we found these great red and white popcorn bags and filled them with fun size chocolate candies and bags of one serving sized microwave popcorn! I thought it was really cute.

It was a pretty good day for turning 6 and I think Jonah enjoyed his little party very much, even if it wasn't what he originally wanted. We're only sad that a few of our friends couldn't make it due to illness or being out of town.

Jonah, I love you so much and I hope you had a fantastic day! Hooray for being six!

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Those popcorn cupcakes are adorable!!! How did you make each marshmellow look like popcorn?? Brilliant!
And my girls are so sad that they missed it. I was hoping they wouldn't find out but apparently Jonah told Lauren that he had a party but he wasn't allowed to invite her. Which led to tears and then I had to explain that no, we were out of town...thanks Jonah! LOL :)

bandofbrothers said...

Happy birthday to your dear sweet boy.

LOVE the popcorn cupcakes! Amazing!

and yes, that tag from Angela was darling.

You did a fantastic job planning his party Sunny!

Danielle said...

Awww, what a fun theme! I love the popcorn cupcakes!! Very cute and crafty! LOL about Cheri's comment... kids get things mixed up and he probably crushed poor Lauren.

Mommy Diffee said...

Sunny you did AMAZING! It was all so cute and fun. I am dying over how cute the popcorn cupcakes were! And you got some AMAZING picture ... I can tell you are loving the new camera =)