Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Thighs Are Quivering

Oh wait, does that sound naughty? I just mean I did a 3 mile walk and now that I am finally sitting down my muscles are all tingly and funny feeling. Exercise is not fun when you're doing it but it really does make you feel better afterward.

I've been thinking a lot about what 2009 will be for us. I'm amazed at how fast the kids are growing and I know there will be even more growing and changing this year. The thing I am probably most excited about is that we should be a diaper-free household this year! I cannot wait! Nathan is almost 3 and potty training is around the corner. I really thought I would try it over Christmas, but with everything going on and the fact that it is pretty cold in our house at times, I've decided to wait a little longer. I am going to be jumping up and down once he's out of diapers! We'll probably also no longer have any nap times, which is bittersweet. I love having some quiet time while Nathan is napping (which is only a couple of times a week as it is) and Jonah plays the Wii or watches a movie. I'll be giving up that time, but then we'll have the whole day free to run errands whenever we want to or get together with friends without worrying about missed naps.

My kids surprise me all of the time. Jonah will probably be reading by the end of the year. I thought he didn't know his lowercase letters but he actually knows most of them with no trouble. He's even sounding out words! It is the cutest thing to watch. In the bathtub the other night, I grabbed the shampoo bottle and had him read the word "kids". He got it by sounding it out with no help from me. I gasped so loudly that I startled him! Raymond told me that he's been working with Jonah on sounding out words for a while now so he was not as impressed. How did I not know these things?

I love this age. Jonah's able to be self-sufficient, getting completely dressed, learning to button buttons and use zippers. He has been getting dressed on his own for a long time now but he used to need help with his socks or buttoning his shirt and it recently struck me that he hasn't needed help in a while. He really wants to learn to tie his shoes which we will be working on soon.

Nathan completely shocked me yesterday when he started pointing out letters at the store! I had no idea he recognized any of them! It's not something I've ever tried to teach him. I grabbed some old alphabet flashcards last night before bedtime and he got 17 letters right! I mixed the letters up, of course. What's funny is, he does not recognize a single color yet. I'm going to be working on those with him.

I'm hoping that 2009 will be a healthier year for us, less doctor visits, no MRSA, healthier eating, exercising and being more active. I want to try more new recipes and be adventurous in the kitchen instead of sticking with the same ol' thing for dinner.

My sister is having a baby around the end of February and Raymond and I have been talking about me going to Chicago to visit once the baby is born, sometime in March or April. It doesn't look like we can swing it financially for all four of us to go, so I'd go by myself. I told Raymond I knew I couldn't be away for very long so I was thinking 5 days would be enough but he told me we should be able to do a full week. It depends on his work schedule and how long he can take off to be Mr. Mom at home. I'm sure we have family and friends who'd be willing to watch the boys as well but I think Raymond would enjoy having some time with the kids. I really hope I can go! It stinks to be so far away from my family, especially during such an exciting time like a new baby.

What are you looking forward to this year?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha, that first line made me laugh. Good for you for having your goals in order! I'm so with you on the cooking thing... I've become so lazy lately with the same 3 crockpot meals pretty much every week. My poor husband, ha!

Thank you fo the sweet delurking comment... I'm glad I have a new bloggy buddy. :)

April said...

Lol, the title for your post is totally naughty, shame shame. :) It always amazes me at how fast your boys are growing and soon I will have my own little boy to keep up with! I really hope you can come out and visit once Blake is here, I know its hard to figure things out but it would be AWE-SOME!

Danielle said...

Wow I can't believe how much Jonah and Nathan know already! No more baby things, now they are real kids!!! Yeah I hope you can come and stay for a week! I'd looooove that! :)

Mommy Diffee said...

You know we will all help out with the boys! I can take a day off to watch them also I am sure! That would be a lot of fun =) You should spend as much time as you can with your sis! The hard part is planning for it when we are never SURE when the baby is coming! So exciting though!

Kourtni said...

We have many of the same goals this year... and so we should be able to encourage each other!!

Talia said...

"my thighs are quivering"... lol! Good for you at getting some exercise. It sounds like your goals are quite similiar to many of mine too. We can all encourage each other!

Good for Jonah at starting to be able to read-- it is so exciting. I'm so anxious for Emma to really know how, it will be so fun!

Talia said...

oh, and I will be praying you get to go see your sister and new nephew when the time comes-- that would be amazing for you and her!!

Cheri said...

Ugh, great! Jonah and Nathan are already reading, Jonah knows how to multiply and you've already walked 8 miles!?! I have soooo much catching up to do! :-)

bandofbrothers said...

the thing that is funniest about you is...I never know WHAT you are going to write. you crack me up! that first line was so hilarious.

bandofbrothers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.