Thursday, January 28, 2010

Christmas in Chicago, Part 2

I have been uploading pictures off and on for three days now because it takes forever to do it. You'd better appreciate this post.

The night after we arrived, we had a Christmas party at my parents' house. My sisters had planned a white elephant gift exchanging/wear an ugly sweater night with their friends. It was a lot of fun!

stairs are a novelty for my kids since hardly anyone we know has a two story house

my mom and cutie patootie Blake, my nephew

their tree
Nathan playing with the dog's toy... don't ask me why


Behold! Ugly sweater night in full session! The really sad thing is, everyone and their mother was doing ugly sweater parties and Goodwills all around were selling out of the most hideous sweaters they had. Isn't that hysterical? There were so few sweaters to choose from that Danielle, who bought enough sweaters for us to wear before we arrived, ended up buying a lot of really large women's sweaters for the guys to wear. LOL! My sweater was so itchy I had to wear one of Raymond's button up shirts underneath so it wouldn't touch my skin at all.

That night I also got to meet Danielle's boyfriend Sam for the first time. He drove down from Wisconsin where he lives to spend the weekend with us. They've only been dating for a couple of months but they are already seriously discussing getting married.
Sister April in all her 80's glory!
Once the guests arrived and we ate a soup dinner, it was time to let the kids decorate sugar cookies. Yum!

Mom and Danielle chatting in the kitchen


The grownups definitely got in on the fun!

I know I look huge. Darn sweater!









We even got my dad to decorate cookies.

Raymond made some really good looking cookies, if I do say so myself.


Once that was over we set the kids up downstairs to watch a movie while the adults started the white elephant gift exchange.



The winner of the ugly sweater contest was hands-down Jeff, one of the friends. He was brave enough to wear a tight sweater he found himself in the women's section of Goodwill, complete with faux fur trim on the sleeves. He bought it on the way over to the party!


Jeff and his prize. He had no shame whatsoever! He cracked me up!

Picking gifts....
My dad got a huge, ugly 2010 wall calendar that he was actually thrilled about, haha!
Jeff's gift was a Christmas pin. We all roared with laughter as he tried to pin it on his sweater. Watch where you stick that!!
I'm not posting a picture of everyone that was there since candid shots don't always get the best expressions and I don't think these people I barely know would like that. Hee hee.

It continued to snow off and on that entire day of the party, so the next morning there was plenty of snow to shovel off the sidewalk. Raymond helped my dad with the task. It was the first time in his 29 years on this earth that he had ever shoveled snow! I knew Raymond grew up in California but even that shocked me. Seriously? NEVER? I mean yeah, that makes sense since he has never lived where it snows but wow...
It is pretty though!

April had brought Blake over so we could watch him while she and her husband James could do some last minute Christmas shopping. My boys were going to go out and play in the snow so Danielle and I took baby Blake out with us.
We had a lot of snowball fights!






After watching the kids play, I had to join in so I passed Blake off to Dani. Prepare to battle, boys!








I really wanted to make a snowman and the snow was perfect! It was dry and powdery so it rolled easily.

It rolled like a carpet!





Jonah and Nathan decided to make snow angels. I didn't even know they had heard of those before or how to make them!

Raymond started helping with the snowman.

My little angel.
Eeek, that's not a very angelic face!


Yeah, the front yard looked pretty terrible after we played in it!
Nathan was excited when he discovered he could eat the snow. Don't worry, we warned him to avoid yellow snow.
What do you think, Nathan? Is it good?
Yep, he kept chowing down. It was funny to watch!


Yum!


The kids were sad we didn't have a carrot for his nose.

Once we were cold and tired enough, we headed inside for the highly anticipated hot chocolate to warm us up. You have to have that after playing in the snow!


Jonah gave it a thumbs-up.

Nathan liked it enough to give it two!
I have no idea...
Wouldn't you know it, when April got back and we told her about taking Blake outside, she looked at Danielle and I funny and said quietly, "Oh, that was his very first time out in the snow..." Danielle and I exchanged glances that said "oops!" and we apologized profusely.


to be continued...

7 comments:

April said...

That party was a riot. Jeff is hilarious. I don't have snow boots (and I live in frickin' Illinois! lol) which is why I hadn't taken Blake out in the snow. Plus that and our backyard was full of hidden dog poop so I didn't want to go back there. Plus I am just lazy! Glad I have documentation of it though! haha

Cheri said...

oh my word! the pictures of jeff in that white sweater were hillarious!! and that close-up of nathan eating the snow had me falling out of my chair laughing!! the faces he makes are priceless...and SO nathan!! lol

Excellent Parent said...

Yoru family is beautiful!

Danielle said...

Hahaha. That post was great Sunny! I love getting to relive our time together through all the pictures! :)

Kourtni said...

SO CUTE! I love all the pictures. I have never heard of an ugly sweater party before, but you guys sure did find some good ones?? lol. I love it. Hillarious!! That last picture of Jonah is priceless.

Mommy Diffee said...

WOW Sunny so many pictures! So many CUTE pictures too! It looks like you had a wonderful time =) And um ... good job on the ugly sweaters =) LOL But I think Aprils was cute ... that is against the rules!

*CPA* Su said...

THOSE SWEATERS!!!! LOLOLOLOL!!! =D

And look at that beautiful snow...so glad you got to enjoy it and your family so much!