I know I haven't blogged much about homeschooling. I posted a couple of times about it but now I want to do a real heart-to-heart post on my thoughts and what I've learned in the last 5 months. Granted, this is only my experience and every homeschooling mom has her own.
Homeschooling is wonderful, fulfilling and bursting with sweet moments. But it can be hard and frustrating as well! This post is going to focus on the downs, but that way I can end my little series on a good note so bear with me!
The only way I can think to describe it is to compare it to having your first baby. You read books on pregnancy and how to care for newborns. You think you're prepared. You talk to other moms and ask questions. You take childbirth classes. You hear the horror stories about labor and delivery. You can even think you're an expert on kids. You've been a nanny or a babysitter. You took care of siblings/cousins/friends/neighbors' kids. You have experience. You can even secretly think I'm totally going to be an awesome mom. All of these moms out there tell me it is hard and challenging, and I know that, but MY baby is going to be easy. We're going to have a wonderful life. I realize that there are bad days but I'm going to love being a Mommy and I'm going to love and adore my baby. How hard can it be?
Homeschooling is wonderful, fulfilling and bursting with sweet moments. But it can be hard and frustrating as well! This post is going to focus on the downs, but that way I can end my little series on a good note so bear with me!
The only way I can think to describe it is to compare it to having your first baby. You read books on pregnancy and how to care for newborns. You think you're prepared. You talk to other moms and ask questions. You take childbirth classes. You hear the horror stories about labor and delivery. You can even think you're an expert on kids. You've been a nanny or a babysitter. You took care of siblings/cousins/friends/neighbors' kids. You have experience. You can even secretly think I'm totally going to be an awesome mom. All of these moms out there tell me it is hard and challenging, and I know that, but MY baby is going to be easy. We're going to have a wonderful life. I realize that there are bad days but I'm going to love being a Mommy and I'm going to love and adore my baby. How hard can it be?
That is exactly how I felt as I approached motherhood 6+ years ago. I was floating on cloud nine, waiting anxiously for my baby to arrive. And then: boom! No matter what your labor and delivery experience (my first one was pretty easy) you're on an adrenaline rush and despite your best attempts, you cannot sleep. At first it is sheer joy and exhilaration. You're in love with this baby that came out of you. But then once that rush wears off you still can't sleep. Because the baby won't let you. You're getting less sleep than you've ever experienced in your life. You don't think it is humanly possible to live because you can barely function on the short bursts of sleep you're getting, if any. Even if baby sleeps, you can't. You obsessively worry, Is my baby still breathing? Is he alive? Is he about to wake up, just as I finally fall asleep? Wait, what was that noise? I just know he's going to wake up!
Have I completely frightened you?
I read books on homeschooling before we started. I talked to people who used to or currently homeschool. I got opinions on curriculum, schedules, activities, homeschool groups, etc. I researched all kinds of things online. Heck, I was homeschooled myself! I thought. I know what I'm getting into here! I have a sweet, happy and compliant child that I'm beginning this adventure with. Yeah, we'll have our days when we butt heads but it is kindergarten. How hard can it be?
Then reality came crashing down.
It was hard for Jonah to adjust to having a routine that included schoolwork. He couldn't just play whenever he wanted to. School isn't all fun and games. It involves learning and is sometimes boring. I try to make it fun, but let's be honest, it just isn't always fun and full of entertainment.
Like motherhood, this wasn't going to be nearly as easy as I expected...
In an effort to not make this post miles long and cause your eyes to swim, I'm going to break it up into a few posts.
to be continued...

8 comments:
Haha Sunny, I love your honesty here! Good to know I'm not the only one. :)
heehee, can't wait to hear more!
I love reading your posts!! Can't wait for part 2!
Haha well now I'll know mothering and homeschooling is NEVER as easy as it sounds, huh? Can't wait for part 2!!!! Post it soon!!!!!!
loved reading this Sunny!! I can't wait to hear your final thoughts on it and where you are now... I've been thinking about you and your schooling a lot. I know we never get to talk about it (or anything, for that matter. hehe), but I've definitely been praying for you!
:)
Jonah is just a typical 5 year old boy! Just keep reminding him that he could be spending 7 hours (bored out of his mind) doing schoolwork everyday!! ;)
All I know is, thank heavens for Wednesday mornings!! :)
Ain't that the truth! Nothing is as we expect it to be but there usually is a lot of joy that comes with all the frustrations. You homeschooling moms ROCK! Now you just need to finish the story. :)
You have an entertaining way with words Sunny =) Can't wait to hear more =)
Post a Comment