Thursday, September 4, 2008

God is so Good!

For the past few weeks, I have been really unsure as to whether or not Jonah would be able to continue preschool. I haven't worked in 2 months and we needed that extra money to pay for preschool. If you don't already know, I work as a sign language interpreter for our local county court system and work a couple hours here and there. It's very flexible and I used to work maybe once every week or two, if that. Lately, it has been slow and I haven't had any jobs. Raymond has had some changes at work position-wise but it didn't look like he was going to be considered for a raise until October when the company evaluates every employee and gives raises at that time.

The week Jonah started preschool, I went over our budget and realized we couldn't even afford a couple months of preschool if something didn't change. Then I got a call from work asking me to work two mornings the following week. I jumped on it, glad to have the opportunity to earn some much needed cash. I figured out what my earnings would bring and put it in my budget, which brought us just into the black, but that wasn't even counting preschool tuition. I'd have to pull from our savings account which is already on life support.

A couple of nights later, Raymond and I were talking about bills and school. I told him I didn't want to have to work and worry when I wasn't getting jobs. I wanted us to be able to afford school and only have me work because I wanted to. He completely agreed and we knew that if we couldn't afford it, we'd pull Jonah out. If we can't afford preschool, we definitely can't afford kindergarten which will be twice as much! I even talked about getting a part-time evening job, just to help out, but Raymond was against that since it would take away from our family time.

I accepted this and prayed many times over it. What made it so hard was that Jonah really loves school. I honestly thought he might be indifferent, maybe even prefer to stay home versus going to school. It has been the opposite! He is excited for each school day and looks forward to going. This made my Mommy heart so sad to think of having to take it away. I put my faith and trust in God to provide for this if it was HIS will. I know God will always take care of us and that preschool is only a want, not a need.

The next morning after talking to Raymond about not wanting to have to work to make ends meet, I got a phone call from the court. The two jobs I had already lined up were canceled. I almost laughed and thought, "OK God, this is not exactly what I meant when I said I didn't want to work! But I am trusting You on this!"

I am a worrier. I can worry about just about anything. I take on other people's worries! But a lady from church talked about Luke 12:22-34 at a prayer group meeting I attended and I knew I needed to listen. I know it's long, but this is what that passage says. "Then He said to His disciples, "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? If you then are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith?
"And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.
"Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

I've spent a lot of time crying and praying. But I gave it all to the Lord. I know that everything is in His hands and He has always taken care of our needs. I could list a bunch of times from my life when He has provided even when it seemed impossible. But since this post is long enough, I won't at this time.

And then... Yesterday, to our complete surprise, Raymond was called into his boss's office and told he would be getting a raise. Effective immediately! From what we can figure based on the number he was told, it will completely cover preschool tuition. It won't give us much extra if any after that, but GOD IS SO GOOD! He has answered our prayers, and heard our cries and given us the desires of our heart. We still don't know that we'll be able to cover kindergarten next year, but all I wanted was for Jonah to finish out his preschool year, without taking him out. God has been working in my heart and I am becoming more and more willing to homeschool, which I did not originally want to do, if that is what He wills for us. We will see where He takes us.

Because that's not all... Raymond was also told that this raise will not replace the regular yearly evaluation, so he might get another raise next month! I can't even hope what that might bring, but I know that if God wants Jonah in this Christian School that we have already come to love, He will provide the money to send him. And if not, Jonah will receive a Christian education at home and I will be given the strength and discipline to do so.

Praise Jesus for His blessings toward us! And you dear reader, learn from my example that even when you have little faith, God is able to work wonders and miracles. Trust Him! God brings many times of trial and uncertainty to us to refine us and draw us closer to Him. Psalm 66:10 says "For You, O God, have tested us; You have refined us as silver is refined." Sometimes we're taken through the fire, not to punish us but to makes us rely on Him more.

And if you hear me talking about or see me spending money, smack me upside the head because that's not what this raise was for! ;) LOL!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm a worrier too! That passage has been a help to me more times than I can count.

Yay for preschool!

Mommy Diffee said...

BIG HUG!

Kourtni said...

I'm SOO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!!!!! What a relief... and isn't it amazing how God rewards the faithful???!!!! You guys totally deserve it, and I'm so glad that you can relax and enjoy this year with Jonah able to complete preschool. Congrats!!!!

April said...

Yea for answered prayers! It never ceases to amaze me how God works things out when we view the situation as impossible. What a blessing it is that Raymond's employers recognized his hard work and gave him this raise right at the time it was needed. God is good indeed!