The East Coast girl in me would never have thought that I'd be excited for 90 degree weather because that felt cool! In the 5 1/2 years I've lived in California, I've become accustomed to 110 degree highs and nights where the low is still in the 80's. I don't like it but I'm strangely getting used to it. My kids, oh my word, are true California desert boys. Since it is finally cooling down to the 70's and even mid-60's overnight, the mornings are enjoyable and actually feel nice out. As we're getting ready to take Jonah to school, both of my boys are saying they feel cold. I still can't get over that. What planet are you from? It is not cold! They want their jackets but I refuse to let them wear them because it is 75 out and it will be 100 degrees later in the day!
Now that September has finally arrived, I am giddy with thoughts of "Maybe it'll only be 90 for the high! Oh wait, it's going to be a high of 87?! Whoo-hoo!" But as I've watched the weather reports lately, salivating for "cooler" weather (it's all relative, I know!) I keep noticing that these lower numbers the weatherman predicts keep creeping up each day. Just two days ago the predicted high for tomorrow (Wednesday) was 87 but now I've checked it again and it has gone up to 92. I'm feeling gipped. And this coming weekend was supposedly going to be cooler but now it says 98 and 99! Ugh!
My sisters arrive on Friday (and the heavens rejoice!) and they are looking forward to some hot weather. It has been unusually cold there in the Chicago area; it's in the 60's and raining from all of the tropical storms and hurricanes. Oh, what I wouldn't give for rain here. I used to complain to Raymond about all the thunderstorms and rain we got in Maryland and he warned me that I'd soon miss it once I moved to his neck of the country where it almost never rains. It is so true, I do! My parents were recently telling me about some of the majestic thunderstorms they've had in Chicago where lightning bolts crashed and streaked the sky so frequently that it looked like the paparazzi spotting a celebrity! I can't even imagine that right now.
The summers here are unending. When my sisters and parents moved to Chicago, they were shocked at just how cold it really gets there and how long the winter is. Some of the locals there start wearing shorts when it hits 40 degrees because that feels warm to them after such a long and brutal winter! It's ironic that where I live 90 can feel so cool and people break out their jeans.
What a crazy thing weather is! But I still sit here and dream of cooler weather and wish away this summer heat. Soon we'll be able to actually spend time outdoors without baking and sweating and keep the windows open and enjoy a cool, albeit very dusty from all the farming and harvesting going on, breeze.
In other news, I cannot wait to see my sisters! They fly out in just 3 days and will stay a week. I haven't seen April in a full year now and I miss her so much! I want to see her little baby bump and give her a huge hug. I'm excited to see Danielle again and I know the three of us will have so much fun being together again. My sisters are some of my best friends and I hate having to live so far away from them.
Since I haven't posted pictures recently, here are a couple of old ones of us together from last year when we flew to Chicago for a visit.
This is at their local mall which has a ton of fun things for kids to do, like ride the carousel and there were several play areas kids could run around. Why doesn't our local mall have anything like this?
I probably won't be blogging much this week or next week since I'll be busy either getting ready for their arrival (cleaning the house, etc.) or spending time with my sisters! I do have new posts for my other blog ready for tomorrow and the 11th.
I'm sure I'll have lots of stories and pictures to post after our vacation. We are planning to be at Disneyland for a day and spend some time at the beach! I can't wait!
Love to you all!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
weather, family and other ramblings
Posted by Sunny at 1:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I work with a couple from Brasil. They're already wearing long pants, sweaters and sweatshirts everyday :) They've lived in Bakersfield for about eight years now, maybe longer, but they still feel cold when we start dropping into the 70s overnight. She even has a heater under her desk that she keeps on almost all summer long :) Funny stuff.
Lauren came in while I was reading this and saw the picture of you and your sisters. She looked at it for a minute and says, "Where is Jonah's mom?" she didn't recognize you with the long hair....I was also thinking how different you look. Funny how you've only had this new hairstyle for a short time and already we've forgotten what you looked like with long hair! :-)
here in Colorado we've had days that are so nice and cool and cloudy. the other day the high was 54! not to rub it in at all of course. :P and we get some of the best thunderstorms too, we'll be sitting just watching tv and see these huge flashes of light over and over! i SO love it!
oh but what fun it will be to have your sisters there!! there is absolutely nothing like sister time! and for a whole weeek too! oh yay for you! :) pictures for sure!
and thank you for the sweet comment you left me. i'm sure i could have done better, but thanks. :) and i did write a whole story on it now too.
ooh, yay, they get here tomorrow!!! I am so excited for you to have your sister time, especially since I know exactly how it feels to be so far away from those sister-friends. :( I hope you girls get to soak each moment up while they're here. And you have such fun things planned... that is going to be fantastic! Again, yay. :)
And I cannot wait for cooler weather either... this week, the mornings have been a tantalizing taste of it.
I bet you're having so much fun already!!!! I'm so excited about your Disney trip coming up, I almost feel like it's ME going for the first time!!!!!
Post a Comment