Friday, August 29, 2008

Back to School Night

Jonah's school had its Back to School Night last night. Kids were not supposed to go, which at first made me scratch my head and wonder why not. I guess it is easier to just have adults and be able to talk without the kids running around. Raymond really wanted to go to the meeting so his dad graciously drove to our house after work to watch our boys for us.

First all of the parents gathered in the chapel and we listened to the administrator as he explained new policies and that sort of thing. I got to sit next to my good friend Cheri and she whispered that a new student's mother is deaf and was there, sitting in the back. Once we were to break up and go to our children's classrooms, I hesitantly approached the mom and signed to her. She was surprised to see that I knew American Sign Language and we introduced ourselves. I told her I'd be happy to accompany her to her son's classroom and interpret for her if she wanted me to. She was grateful because otherwise she wouldn't know what was being said. I felt bad that she had sat through the initial presentation without knowing what was going on. I gave Raymond a look to make sure it was okay with him and he was fine with it.

We headed to the classroom and I jumped right in, interpreting what the teacher was saying. I was in my element and glad to be able to help her. It took much longer than I thought it would though and by the time it was over, Raymond and I hurried over to the preschool to hopefully have a chance to meet Jonah's teacher. Well it was too late to meet her since she had already gone to see her own kids' teachers. Raymond was at least able to see the classroom, since he had not seen it before, and the aide was there and she talked to us about Jonah and how well he has been doing at school. We had worried he'd be too shy to talk to other kids or the teachers but she said he has gotten out of his shell more and more. Whew! He's doing great and his class as a whole has been a good one so far. We had brought our camera to take pictures but I totally forgot about it in my haste to get to the classroom. Sorry!

I asked Jonah yesterday after school if he liked it and he said yes. Then just to be sure, I asked him if he would rather stay home or if he would want to keep going to school? He looked at me like I was crazy and said he wants to go to school. I am so glad he likes it!

He has also started at a local church's AWANA program and is now in Cubbies. He seemed to enjoy his first night there on Wednesday and will be going weekly. Poor Nathan, he's too young to go to school and AWANA so he's stuck at home with me! Thankfully he doesn't seem to mind and did not get upset when we yet again left Jonah somewhere "fun" while we went home.

It is really weird that Jonah has his own activities that only he gets to go to. He is getting so big!

5 comments:

Mommy Diffee said...

Sunny I think that is absolutely wonderful that you volunteered to help that woman by interpreting for her. So many people would just shrug it off as not being their problem, but you sacrificed getting to go to Jonahs class to help her. That is a true demonstration of your character =) If only more people were like you!

Kourtni said...

I bet it was fun to go to parent night and check everything out! I'm anxiously awaiting our turn, and it's still a week away!! I can't wait to volunteer in his class and SPY! Sounds like it was a lot of fun, and I agree with Angela about you helping that woman out. What a great way to minister to others. You're a jewel.

Lydia said...

wow it's crazy how grown up your boys are!
And how great that you were able to help that lady. I bet she was extremely grateful!

Talia said...

it was so sweet of you to help her out. I can only imagine how grateful she must have been to actually be able to understand what was being said! what a way to use your wonderful gift as a blessing to others. :)
I'm really glad you got to at least see his classroom together. Back to school night sounds neat!!

Danielle said...

Wow AWANA too? He is like a real kid now, no more baby Jonah!! I can't wait to see him again and ask him all about how school is going. :)