Thursday, August 21, 2008

Jonah's First Day of Preschool

Wow! After talking about school for so long, it is actually here. Last Friday, we had our Meet and Greet at school where we could meet his teacher (we met her last May when we checked out the school) and see the classroom again. Jonah was really nervous and wouldn't say anything to his teacher. He'd only reply with "hmm-hmm" sounds. He started scratching his head, claiming it was itchy and seriously looked like a little monkey. LOL! Nathan, however, loved being in the classroom and wanted to stay! He'd say, "Me go school!" over and over. After we left, it was really hitting me that this was actually happening.

Over the weekend, I became really nervous and anxious. Sunday night I could hardly sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about it! I was nervous for Jonah, hoping and praying he'd love it, and worried we won't be able to send him all year if we can't make it financially. Monday morning, while Raymond was getting ready for work, I started crying. All I could think of was that this was the end of Jonah's babyhood. He was starting school and that from here on out, school will always be a part of our lives. It went from me being with him 24/7, caring for him as a baby and toddler, and then now we have this long period of school years and then he's a man and starting his own life without me! This is the end of doing whatever we want, whenever we want to. As a stay at home mom, we've had the luxury of being on our own time schedule. Now we will have a schedule and have to worry about getting to bed on time because it's a school night. For two days a week, I can't let him sleep as long as he wants to. I will have to wake him up if he doesn't get up on time. It was a very weird mix of emotions. That afternoon I was feeling like I was coming down with the flu. I think it was stress. :S One crazy, neurotic mom, check!

Tuesday morning, we got up early to get ready. Raymond had decided he'd stick around until after we left for school so he could be there for us. He was so sweet, getting the boys dressed while I made Jonah's lunch. We had breakfast, packed up the car and took some pictures before we left the house. I was thankful that Jonah didn't seem too scared.


My camera is getting on my nerves. It keeps taking really blurry pictures no matter what I do!





When we got to school, his good friend Lauren had just arrived and they walked up to the building together.


We checked in, dropped off his extra change of clothes, pillow, and blanket in his classroom.


I gave him a quick hug and a kiss and he went to the circle of kids and sat down. Time for Nathan and me to go!


Nathan and I made our way out back to the car and he was saying, "Me go school!" I gently told him when he got bigger he could go to school. He was happy enough with that answer and we got in the car and drove home. Nathan was unusually quiet while we were home. I've realized that he can be quite calm and quiet when he doesn't have a big brother around to antagonize him and encourage him to be wild! I spent some time cleaning up, making the beds, doing things we didn't have time to do before we left. Then I called a couple of dear friends, Kourtni and Cheri, and we arranged to meet for coffee. Nathan was excited to see his friend Juliet. We had a great time, talking and commiserating over our children attending school for the first time, and chatting and getting caught up on each other. Nathan stripped his shirt off for some reason and then tried to take his shorts off but I stopped him there!


After coffee, Nathan and I met Raymond for lunch at a Chinese restaurant (apparently Jonah hates Chinese food because one evening we discussed going to get Chinese for dinner and he cried and threw a fit saying he didn't like that kind of food and didn't want to go). I had been craving it for weeks and was glad to go without listening to Jonah whine about it! Once lunch was over, Raymond wanted us to see his new desk (and workspace) at his office so we headed over there. We looked around and then Nathan and I headed home where I laid him down for a nap. Before I knew it, it was time to pick up Jonah at the bus stop! Yes, he's taking the school bus home, well, to someone else's house and I pick him up there. They could bring him directly to my house but it would be the last stop instead of one of the first stops and I'd rather him not have to ride around a bunch when I can just go get him earlier.

I was so nervous waiting for him at the bus stop! For some reason, I was so scared that his teachers didn't put him on the bus and he was stuck at school. Of course, when it pulled up, he was on it and doing just fine. He was back with us! Yay! I couldn't wait to hear all about his day.

Once we got home, he told me that he played with Lauren. (I am so glad she's going because I think it will make it that much easier for Jonah since he knows someone there.) He said he made a new friend. "Oh, is this friend a boy or a girl?", I asked. "It's a girl." Then I asked, "What was her name?" He answered, "I don't me-member." I told him it was fine and maybe he'd find out next time. He was really excited to show me a red mark on the back of his hand and tell me how he was part of the red team. From what he told us later, it sounds like the kids were split into 3 different color teams and they rotated activities. He said they played outside three or four times, and it was really, really, really hot outside during one of those times. He showed me the craft they made and his coloring sheet that he brought home in his backpack. He told me what they had for snacks, how much he ate for lunch, and that during nap time, "There was funny music.. Well, it wasn't really music, it was a man talking funny." Okay... (Later Cheri told me that Lauren said they played "Hakuna Matata" so we assume "The Lion King" soundtrack was being played. I don't think he's ever seen that movie so he wouldn't recognize it.)

He said something like, "I don't really need to go to school, but you were right, it is really really fun." Whew! All in all, he seemed to enjoy it. I wanted to hear every moment, every detail he could tell me. I loved being able to hear it again once Raymond got home and I learned a few more details. It is weird to not be actively involved in what he's doing while he's at school. I missed him but I am so glad he had a good first day and I look forward to hearing about his day each time he goes to school.

When did my baby get so big?!

And now as I finally have the time to post this, today should be Jonah's second day of school. Well, he's been sick throwing up since yesterday. *sigh*

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Aw! I'm so glad he had a good first day. :)

Cheri said...

I'm glad they have each other too! Lauren is praying Jonah feels better so he can go to school on Tuesday! :-)

Anonymous said...

wow how exciting.
I'm glad that both you and Jonah survived the first day of school. Enjoy the one on one time with Nathan.

Kelly Grundhofer

Anonymous said...

It makes me want to cry reading the details about his first day of school, he has become so grown up! I remember seeing that tiny baby in his mommy's arms the first time we met him and now he is off on his own at school. My, my how time flies. I am so proud of my nephew!

Kourtni said...

Aww.. it was great to see pictures of his first day! Sounds like it was a lot of fun... Logan is so jealous that Jonah is riding the bus. Even my mom is pressuring me to just let him ride it now. Ughh. One thing at a time. lol. I hope he starts to feel better soon! Poor little guy.

Talia said...

he's so handsome!! Love all the excited first-day pictures. :)

Hopefully he is feeling all better by now. Poor little guy.

It is so weird that everyone's kids are going to school now! How is this possible??? :)

Mommy Diffee said...

I love the pictures! I think once you put a lunch box in their hand and a backpac on them they look like little "big kids"! It is so crazy and yet so cute also. He is going into a whole new stage of his life, it is exciting! I can not picture Peyton ever being that big, but I so clearly remember Jonah being Peyton's size =( Hey are you guys having lunch on sunday even though my parents are gone? TTYL =)

Danielle said...

Awww he is too cute! I'm really glad he is excited about it and didn't come home crying and asking not to go back! I can see how he thinks it is fun already, it sounds like they keep him busy. Aaahhh I can't believe he is old enough to go to school and to talk all about his day there too!!!!