I forgot to post about this. Raymond ended up taking the IT (information technology) position at work. He has settled in and enjoys the job. He's already had to work a couple of late nights (finishing up around 1:30/2 am!) and will do so again tonight. He's going to miss a birthday party because of it! :( He's a salaried employee so he doesn't earn overtime but he gets to take comp time (take time off without using vacation hours) to make up for it. They're also considering giving things like a gift certificate for 2 at a nice restaurant and things like that instead of comp time. I don't mind sacrificing a few nights here and there with him if they'll give him extra time off other times or do things like give us a date night!
Since Raymond's company has offices in other countries, they sometimes need to fly an employee from the local office here to another country to work on specific projects. Since Raymond now works in IT, he will be needed from time to time (maybe once or twice a year) to work on the other offices' computers, networks and things like that. He was told yesterday to go ahead and start getting an application for a passport together since he doesn't have one. His boss asked him if there were any problems or issues at home that would prevent him from being able to fly to these other countries and Raymond told him no, as long as he didn't have to travel too often. Raymond said it might be a problem with me if he ever has to go to Hawaii. ;) They don't have an office in Hawaii, but his boss told him that Hawaii is often a stop on the way to Malaysia, where they have an office. As long as he's stuck in the airport with no time to sight-see, I'll be okay. ;)
I've told him since I already have my passport, he could have me go instead and I could call him and have him tell me over the phone what to do. Haha!
It would be really cool if someday I could go with him when he was traveling, but that's not going to be a possibility any time soon. Airfare is outrageous, and international flights were expensive even before gas prices skyrocketed. I have no idea what it would cost now! Tthey have offices in France, Malaysia, China, Brazil and some other places. Wouldn't it be fun to visit a foreign country on someone else's dime? :)
We'll see if he actually does travel here in the near future. I guess we'd better get started on the passport application!
Friday, August 8, 2008
Update on Raymond's job
Posted by Sunny at 12:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
How fun to be able to have the opportunity to go to different countries. That would be an exciting thing for him. Glad he likes his new position. :)
Post a Comment