Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Paranoid? Me?

When we first moved to our house, we thought it was great that there were no houses across the street. There is a Catholic church on the corner of our street and next to the church is a fenced off empty lot that I believe the church owns. This lot is in front of our house. How wonderful, we thought! That means less noise from neighbors and we have plenty of places for our own friends and family members to park!

Except…. The church occasionally has loud events, like outdoor concerts, and even huge Easter productions that have required them to request and receive permits from our city to shut down our street. Lovely.

Then there was the time two years ago that a small circus came to town and set up in that empty lot and stayed a couple of weeks. Well, huh, that’s strange. Thankfully they finished every show before I went to bed each night but I worried the announcer on the loudspeaker would keep my babies up. Ugh.

Everyone wants a circus in front of their house, right?



I’ve already mentioned the weird things that have happened around us, scaring me out of my wits.

Lately, I’ve noticed a truck parked in front of my house. Not a pick-up truck. Oh no, that would be normal. I’m talking about a diesel 18-wheeler kind of truck. Yeah. Fun. I’ve seen it here once in a while. Every few days, this same truck pulls up and parks for a few hours. At first I thought maybe it was unloading a shipment to the church because why else would it be there? No, all it does is sit there. I know that truck drivers pull over to get some sleep, but this is a residential neighborhood! We do not live directly on a highway. My street is not a truck stop! I could understand this driver parking one block south of my house which IS a highway. Why is he picking my street?

Last Saturday I was going nuts. This semi- truck pulled up, and hours later it was still sitting there. It was after dark and this stupid truck would be turned off and on. When it was on, it was LOUD. The rumblings coming from that truck made our single pane windows rattle. I was getting really annoyed. It would be on for 15 or 20 minutes, then off for about the same amount of time and then on again. Over and over and over! By now it was 10 pm and I was going to bed. Now I couldn’t sleep! I tossed and turned, getting more and more frustrated. I finally heard voices outside and jumped out of my bed to see what was going on. Watching out my bedroom window, I noticed a car had pulled up behind this truck and had its hazard lights on. A woman was standing around while a man was inside the trailer of this diesel, making a lot of noise, banging around inside. It sounded like the trailer was empty. A bag (what looked like a full grocery bag) was handed over to the woman and she got into the passenger side of the car and the car then drove away.

Now I am thinking, what on earth was this?! I leave my bedroom and find our local phone book, ready to call the police. Now of course I have no idea if anything illegal happened here, but I can at least complain about the noise and tell them what I saw. I finally find the station’s number and as I am dialing, I realize the semi was driving away. I stopped dialing, uncertain if I should have called anyway, and went back to bed.

Again last night, he shows up. I am furious. I want to call the police but Raymond tells me not to. He says the person is probably just trying to sleep and there’s nothing illegal about it. But he refuses to let me go out and talk to the driver, afraid I’d get killed or our house would be set fire. Why would a nice truck driver do that if I am just telling him I’d rather he didn’t park in front of my house? I decided to take a picture of it, so I could blog about it… And since I am obviously a freak, maybe for proof if I ever needed it, (I have no idea what for, LOL). It is a blurry picture because I turned off the flash since I was taking it through my living room window.

I'd make a good spy, right?

I hear you snorting!



Thankfully he shut off his engine the whole time he was parked this time so it was not loud and noisy. He left after 10 pm, and I never heard any cars pull up.

So what do you think? I’ve tried to Google laws to see if trucks are allowed to park just anywhere they please. I can't find anything.

Am I paranoid? Should I leave it alone and get over it or do you think I should report it? Would the police care about some truck parked in front of my house? I'm afraid they'd laugh at me. Are you laughing at me? Tell me if you are!

Sometimes I really wish we could move.

7 comments:

Kourtni said...

Well I am definitely NOT laughing at you. I can't imagine how freaky... and just downright ANNOYING that would be. I probably would have called the cops days ago. LOL. But that's just me. I'm not sure about the laws either, but if it's disrupting to a residential neighborhood, I'd think it should at least be checked out. There's my 2 cents. lol

Lisa said...

Ugh. We used to get all kinds of creepy truckers parking by our condos. I hated it too.

I would have called the police. I don't think you're paranoid at all.

Talia said...

I'm not laughing either! I would feel the same way as you, I think... gosh, I hope there's something that can be done about it, or at least that Mr. Truck Driver will give up his parking spot himself.
your blogs about the weird things that happen in your neighborhood are so interesting! :)

Talia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You guys really should move, to here! Your neighborhood is a scary place. Remember that ADT guy that came by at like 9pm but didn't have a marked truck and had been around for a few days in the evening? The strangest things happen over there! I don't think you are paranoid, I would've called the police too, especially if his engine was so loud it was distrubing you. There are plenty of places for him to park in the area, so why right there? I don't think the police would've laughed at you. If you complained about the noise and told them how often he was around they probably would've told him to move and not park in that area again. Next time he is there, call the police!

Ashlei Paige said...

I can kind of relate to the whole circus tent thing...we had the great white of circus tents in our neighborhood when a church was being built next to our park.

Its always nice when giving someone directions to your home..."When you see the big white tent, you've gone too far"

However...your tent is way more cute. =]

Mommy Diffee said...

Ok that whole thing is just a little crazy and you should really move to Bakersfield ... but on a brighter note your grass is looking great and you should put a tire swing up on that big tree in the front! =)